Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna port match my intake this afternoon

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Jun 20, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have the intake and junk off right now, and I'm going to be shipping my injector pump and injectors out on Monday.

I got the intake bead blasted and this afternoon I'm going to port match the intake to the gasket set. I realize to fully optimize any gains the heads should be done too...but that'll have to wait until rebuild time.

I'll take some pic's and post them up when I get them developed.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

rene

2. tRustyK5

I was stunned at how poor the casting is on the intake compared to the head port quality. On the heads the ports are within 1/16" of the gasket size and are very even and actually pretty smooth. On the intake...well let's just say it was prolly a friday when it was cast.

The average port width was anywhere from .750" to .850" and the average height was 1.75" to 1.85". Average port area came in at 1.53 square inches and it was fairly rough with misaligned parting lines, crooked ports etc etc.

I matched the ports to the gasket and now all 8 are 1.06" x 2.03" which is 2.15 square inches, plus the walls are all blended and smooth now.

I also spent some time on the top side of the intake. I heavily radiused all the sharp edges and knife edged the center wall, then polished up whatever I could with a flap wheel on the die grinder.

All told I spent about 3 hours on it...mostly because I was kinda enjoying myself./forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I realize it isn't gonna be a 300 hp motor anytime soon, but I'm sure this will help the intake charge a little at least.

I'll snap some pic's of the finished product tomorrow...if anyone cares. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Rene

3. mirage

mirage Registered Member

We like pics /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I'd like to see them also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

We're WAITING. I wanna see how it turned out, I also want to know what, if any, difference it made. Then you need to fly your butt down here and do mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Come on Rene, we gave you the whole weekend. Where are our pics!

7. tRustyK5

Have patience...I don't have a digi-cam (unless some kind soul would like to donate one/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

As for how much difference it'll make...it'll be hard to tell because the next time it runs it'll also have 8 new injectors and a custom rebuilt pump. I'm cautiously optimistic about power gains. If my right foot can tell I'll be happy.

My prediction is that it should run smoother because the intake charge will be more consistant I think. The casting quality from port to port varied a fair bit in stock form.

Rene

8. stu

stu Registered Member

Just curious but where are some pics?

9. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I would like to see this and find out how it did for power. Mike

10. tRustyK5

Sorry guys, I've been slacking in the picture department. I will get some up soon.

As for how much difference it'll make I have yet to find out myself. I have my injector pump and injectors ready to be sent out for rebuild...but my old daily driver blew up. That took care of the money I had set aside for the pump and injectors. I should be sending the pump and injectors out in 2 weeks and I'll let you all know how it runs shortly after that.

Rene

11. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Are you using Tim @ http://www.cleaninjectors.com/ ? He's like $175 on the pump rebuild. I don't have much more info than that, tho.

As far as the injectors, most shops will test them for free, so check locally before you ship them if you want.

12. tRustyK5

Yes, Accurate diesel is the company and the guy I was dealing with was Tim. Very professional and answered all my questions in great detail.

Both the pump and injectors have about 200,000 on them so I think it's just best to get it all done at once. $337 for pump and injectors with shipping is a great deal! None of the local shops can touch this price...plus the only thing they want to work on are the 6BT's and the Powerstrokes.

Rene

13. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

wow, I was going to pay 320 bucks just for a pump, this is a much better deal and I'll go ahead and slap new injectors in too. Thanks for the heads up.

14. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

what were the final results? any increass in HP? and did you ever take any pics? im dieing here man, fill us in please!!!!!

15. tRustyK5

Re: Gonna port match my intake today (more excuses and no update yet)

Come on out to Blazer Bash and I'll take you for a ride.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously I haven't had time to do anything much with the truck the last little while. It's basically pretty stripped down right now because me and my buddy are building a roll cage for it among other things. Getting it up and running hasn't been priority # 1.

I will update when I have an update...sorry.

Rene

16. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

im gonna hold you to that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, ill see ya in october!

17. tRustyK5

See ya there Matt! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene