Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna replace my intake gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SummitXMK, Jul 3, 2002.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I am going to replace my intake gasket on my 95 k1500 350. Are there any tricks or things I need to watch out for? It is the first time I have dived this far into an engine.
    Well I form fitted a head gasket on a Derby car once in between heats but I don't think that counts? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Is there a better type of gasket to get. Do I need to torque these or tighten them in a special order or is it mostly a bolt on process. What about rvt? Do I use any or not. This is something I would only like to do once. Anyway thanks for any help you can give me.

SummitXMK

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

keep all rtv out of the motor.. use a shop vac to vaccume out the inside once open...

Dont leave any tools inside... <--- do a search on this...

Take your time and do it right.. no big deal!!!

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    A haynes manual would tell you the torque specs for the intake. I believe that you start tightening them down in the middle and work out to the ends of the motor in a circular pattern.

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

which RVT would you use? Or would you be better off just not using any? I am assuming red RVT but ya never know. Thanks for the input.

SummitXMK

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have a vacuum leak, or an oil leak? Our '94 Sub was getting a puddle of oil on the top of the intake manifold. The 2 center bolts on each side thread into an oil passageway. I removed the bolts, cleaned them and then coated the threads with Permatex #2 and reinstalled them. Haven't seen a drop of oil since. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Use Peramtex black RTV on the front and back of the block. Don't use those POS plastic gasket things that come with the intake gasket set. The intake bolts have to be torqued to a specific order for the 1st torque setting, then another specific order for the 2nd torque setting.

7. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice. Now off to the taks! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif