Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gonna shave: anyone ever bust a 14bolt case?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, Mar 14, 2002.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

I'm going to shave my 14 bolt, but what if I bash a rock right where its shaved. I'm thinking of making a skid plate out of 1/8 or 3/16 steel formed to fit tight to the housing and bolted to the pinion flange bolts and cover bolts. Is this just a waste of time? Has anyone cracked or busted their 14 bolt case? Has anyone shaved their D60 front?

Steve, if you read this, did the ccnow membership thing, hope the $ helps with the nightly slow downs. Excellent site keep up the good work.

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Only thing as far as the case goes, that I have seen is a friend has one of the tubes pull out of the dif housing about half way. No real break thought.

Ken H.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I haven't done this but I don't know that it's worth while to add 1/4 or 3/16 plate around it after shaving, I could be wrong as usual but don't you only gain 1/2" shaving and if you add that plate look at what your gaining....if your talking adding 3/16 plate you might as well just grind off 5/16 and go with it Also if you have one of the rings like steve has on the UAV I'd think that would strengthen it up too
    just my mind wandering .02

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Depending on what you do, I think the max is a little less than 1" of gain (without major surgury and plating) but that can make the lip hard to seal. However, it's not just about clearance. For me, it's largely about getting rid of that blasted lip that hangs (hard) on just about anything. A smooth face allows it to slide over, and someone (don’t remember who) here just made a skid with no shaving at all (i.e. LESS clearance). IIRC, they were very happy with it.

5. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

You got it, the idea is to loose the lip and be able to slide over stuff. Just sawzalled it off tonight, up to where the lip meets the case (about 1/2 or so). I'll grind it smooth and bevel the remaining edges tomorrow. Gonna reinforce to cover about half way up and then decide about the skid plate. Its a good sign that there dosen't seem to be alot of broken case stories. Thanks for your thoughts.