Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna tow with my truck for the first time...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by TrcksR4ME, Aug 9, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My parents have basically given me their tent trailer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif '96 Coleman Niagra, 25' open, pretty much loaded dual queen beds, good heater, hot water, shower, stove inside and outside, 3 way refridg., big storage trunk on the front...

Anyways, I have never towed with my Blazer before, so I have to get it all ready. Trailer has electric brakes, so I need a brake controller (which I can get off another vehicle of ours) and install it, also need to put on I think 7-way plug. And then get a drop hitch.

Anything else I am missing? I don't want my truck to break down or something, trailer weighs 2200lbs empty, so its not real heavy nor too light either...any advice greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Check your cooling system over real good. Consider adding a trans cooler at the minimum, something rated for about 12-16000GVW will suffice as a starter. Larger radiator, big block versions are a good choice for cooling a small block. Gears, if you are using the 44's, even 2200#'s will pull hard in the hills without decent gearing. With 44's, 4.10's at minimum, 4.56, 4.88 or even 5.13's won't hurt any. And finally, take it easy learning how to tow. Watch out swapping lanes too fast, allow more room to stop and back off the throttle coming off the long down grades. Brakes take on a heavier load with the additional weight plus the 44's. Consider rear discs. Watch your ignition timing. Easy to pull more total timing when towing then an engine can handle under hard pulling. Running cheap gas, too much advance and a heavy foot can bring about problems to the spark plugs, pistons and valves. Keep a close eye on water temp, oil pressure and listening to the engine sound. Hardest part about tuning an engine for towing is setting the ignition timing while considering the rate of mechanical advance, vaccuum advance and total timing. Too slow, waste fuel, too fast and waste parts. Towing with a lift kit and 44's is a lot different then towing with a stock K5 but still possible. Just take it easy and enjoy the excperience.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well first off, I dont have 44's...if you are refering to my sig the 44 is for dana 44 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I run 35's, 4.10 gears, have a HD stacked plate tranny cooler already, and I have pulled this trailer before, just not with my truck. Been the family trailer since new and we use to take it on vacations all the time, so I use to get the pleasure of doing some of the driving.

I have a feeling my weenie 402 isn't gonna like it much, and there are already noises /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well look at what i tow with mine /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...you should have no trouble /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the sway bar & weight distrabution bars...

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

402 BBC will be plenty of power for what you're towing. 35's and 4.10's are fine too. Sounds like you have it together to do a great job of towing. Nothing to worry about, 'cept maybe more brakes. Goodluck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

My parents used to drag us across country towing 25' triple bunkbed behemoth. 3 bunk beds two dinettes huge bathroom. It was a gigantic trailer but that 400 had no problem with it. He also put these stabilizing bars on it. So you trailer shouldnt be any kind of difficulty. Be sure to get a good brake controller.