Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goo off

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by burban89, Apr 19, 2007.

1. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

I'm prepping to paint my Suburban. What is the easiest and quickest way to take off the goo that the pinstripe and molding leaves behind.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

lacquer thinner will cut the fastest... Well, Acetone will, but acetone sucks to use...

or you can go milder with 3M adhesive cleaner, mineral spirits, WD-40, etc...

But thinner will cut it better than anything...

3. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

I tried the PB Blaster goo off stuff but it just seams to smear it everywhere. I have to pick up some Acetone or Lacquer thinner tomorrow. Thanks.

4. ryoken

Well, it will do the smear thing with anything, it's just the lacquer thinner gets it dissolved the best...

Any thin solvent will do, where it gets slower is when you go to thicker, not as potent solvents, like goo-off, adhesive remover, mineral spirits, etc

much safer, but twice as slow...

use plenty of fresh rags, don't wanna be rubbing all that glue back on... :wink1:

5. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

I use to have this rubber wheel that was made for taking off pinstripe, but I cant find it and there aren't any good body shop supply stores around me.

6. ryoken

Yup, there's quite a few versions of the rubber flapper wheels.... Some work ok.. I've always gone back to the old fashioned methods...

I remember when they came out with those things back in the 80's, used em on pinstripes all the time... They work better at the vinyl, than the glue...

7. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

The one I had was a solid orange wheel, it worked like an eraser. It worked great took off vinyl and glue, I used to take the pinstripe off my Acura.