Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good additive for cold weather gelling?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Rob 85K5, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Driving a 6.2 from Ut to FL this weekend. What is a good additive for cold problems?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Power Service, or the Stanadyne stuff. Hell I'll run just about any of them if they contain anti-gelling additives. Sometimes there isn't a lot of variety to be found when you need the stuff.

Just pay attention to the mix directions. Some stuff is highly concentrated (and spendy) and some stuff isn't and is a lot cheaper.

Rene

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

And don't over do it either or you'll be shooting flame thru your exhaust.
    :haha:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone use??..

Isopropanol Dry Gas in diesels??..I've put a few bottles in my truck last winter,seemed to make more power and it ran better with it,than the usual stuff I use,like Howe's Lubricator or Power-Kleen ..it did say "OK for use in diesel engines" on the bottles,some dry gas is NOT reccomended for use in diesels..I swear it started easier in cold weather with it too..

I'm tempted to try some Chevron "Techron" additive to clean my injectors,after reading on the bottle it can be used in diesels as well as gas--seems to be the best injector cleaner we have used at my friends shop (only one that seems to DO anything,besides waste money)..the stuff aint cheap though,at 7 bucks a bottle!..hope it helps my 6.2 run better,I think its injectors are half clogged from lack of use the past few years--haven't gone many miles with it,and a lot of short trips..:crazy:

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Let us know how it goes. :confused:

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Power Service in the white bottle & Howes are available at most truckstops. I have had good luck with Power Service to -25*F. I am not a huge PS fan but it works for the cold & is easy to get. I have used Stanadyne too & it works well but it hard to find most of the time. Read the mix instructions then add more then it recommends to be safe.

Harley

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah but not too much more.
    I ran double the recomended quantity and I was shooting flames thru the muffler on deceleration. :haha:

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have never had problems with that with my truck & I run a pretty liberal mix of additives (PS currently till my Amsoil shows up) & 2 stroke oil. You guys with Stanadyne pumps that are lubed by fuel really should run some 2 stroke oil or other form of lube to keep them happy. My CTD is a fuel lubed pump & it is supposed to help them live longer lives. It has been coming to light recently (proof wise) that most additives provide little or no luberication for the injection pumps. Most of the additives are only good as cleaners & anti-gels.

I mix 16oz PS & 16 oz 2-stroke oil for every fillup (30 gallons) in my Cummins.

Harley

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I never thought about using 2 stroke oil, that is a good idea.
    I not only had the flames but I was told by a diesel mechanic not to over do it, he said a little more to be safe is fine, but 2x or 3x like I did was dangerous.

10. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used one bottle, good for 100 gallons, of PS for 80 of fuel and had no problems down to 13 degrees. Basically on bottle per 4 tanks(20 gal)