Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good ATs or long lasting MTs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, May 14, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a new set of tires for my "new" Blazer. The size is 33x12.50r15. Cant go any bigger (2.5" lift, and a $4K paintjob). I have run 35" MTRs and liked them, but wear a little fast, ran 33" and 35" BFG MTs and didnt like them(cupped real bad, but was on a burb), and ran 38.5" SXs which wore good but drove like a tank till they got hot.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

BFG AT's. I run/ran them. They do pretty good as long as it isn't mud. Never had a problem with them in AZ except when it rained pretty good or I was up north hunting and encountered mud.

I never got stuck with them in decent mud, but they caked like crap and turned into slicks.

Long time no see, different color too. What have you been up too? Still got those MTR's laying around?

3. DesertDueler

Hey Harley, I havent been up to too much. Just picked up my new Blazer. This Blazer is super clean, and wont see any offroading, but thats why I have the sandrail.Sorry, but I dont have the MTRs anymore.

4. DesertDueler

Anybody have the Pirelli A/Ts? That is what my truck has on it now, and it looks like a nice tire, and is supose to last 40,000 miles, and they are just over 100 bucks a piece.

5. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Running 33" Uniroyal Laredo M/T's (285/75/16). Brand new they had 5/8" of tread. Now after 30,141 miles they still have 1/2" of tread left. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ProComp ATs have the 50k mile warranty. Ihave 35" ProComp MTs, i like the alot.

j

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine ran Michilin LTX's on his truck. He bought them because they were cheaper then the BFG. They looked like a pretty decent tire. They actually did better then the BFG AT's in mud. They have a little more open design and more of a straight pattern.

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    (cupped real bad, but was on a burb

[/ QUOTE ] whats this mean cupped?

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

wear pattern, when the tire isnt balanced right, or am i wrong on the balance part.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I've got Wrangler AT/S 32x11.5x15 and could not be happier!
    By this time next year I will have the 3" TC EZ-rides and either the 33 or 315lt (33.6) AT/S's.
    My set now is close to the 50K mark and still roll well, deep water it still pulls and its spins a little easier now, when NEW I never had a problem, they wondered a little at 75MPH but great in everyother weather condition and they look pretty damn cool too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    Tires at about 47K miles! 3years! 4 this x-mas. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

i have dayton timberland at's and the ware good do good in the mud for an at. don't know what it is about them but to me they are a all around good tire. get the widest you can get that seems to help alot good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. DesertDueler

Well I just decided to get the MTRs. My federal tax check came back yesterday, so I have the money /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

dang out there in the desert id say check out the xterrains by pro comp. Thats what i have and they are a damn good tire and long tread wear life. around 40-50,000 miles depending on when you rotate your tires and how heavy that right foot is on the skinny pedal. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

14. arizona71

arizona71 Registered Member

I have 35x14.5 x 15 MT Thornbirds that I just took off my 71 I went with 35 TA's for the quieter ride. I also have a set of MT rims with 33x12.5x15 with TA on them that came extra when I bought my rig.

15. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

When a tire "cups" the trailing edge of the tread wears out faster than the leading edge, vice versa, and they will wear faster and get out of balance. In response to the first post saying his BFG MT's cupped real bad. I have the 35" bfg MT's and mine have not cupped at all. What I do when I rotate them is I will do a normal front to rear rotation and then every other rotation I do a corner to corner "X" pattern rotation. This way if any cupping is starting it will be reversed. I have tried to rotate the tires every oil change, but it rarely happens and probably ends up being double that.