Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good backstop for .22 LR ammo?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 7, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If I were to dig a large pit, put concrete walls in it, like a house foundation without a house on it, what would be the best backstop to avoid ricochet's or chips off the concrete?

Stacks of sandbags? A wood plank retaining wall with sand behind it? Logs? I'm just thinking about it, not actually going to do it... I figure .22 is the only round that would work because it's quiet enough not to get the police called...

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Find an couple of old mattresses. Put them between a couple of sheets of thick MDF. Instant firing range. rarely will one penetrate and you never have ricochet issues. Costs about $50 for the MDF at Lowes and a mattress or two at goodwill. Not that I have ever done this in a residential area.:whistle:

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I've found that opposums make the best backstop for a .22, with rabbits being a close second, followed by squirrels then birds.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Terrorists and criminals.

5. cbbr

It may be tough to find a rabbit in NYC, but the place must have a few terrorists and criminals. Of course rabbits don't shoot back and something larger than a .22 might be advised.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Uhhhhhhh, no....:grin: they are loud dood, get a BB gun...;)

7. cbbr

Buy subsonic ammo (Lapua) and go cat hunting. Bolt action .22+ subsonic ammo = quiet

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Ruger Mk I .22 auto pistol + custom 10" bull barrel + custom mod'd Safety/bolt latch + Remington Sub-sonic Hollow points.
    Not that I have any such thing.....

Sub-sonics & "CB"s are the only ammo I've found that's quiet enough. And quiet or not, know that you are still discharging a firearm within city limits (Assuming that you live in a city).

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

when I lived in L.A la la land on 1 acre I put in a 22 range

25 yds of free plastic 3 foot culvert.... some sand a piece of 1/2 in angled plate at the other end

of course I had a backhoe... and buried it....

I could stick the gun just inside the culvert and fire away... never a neighbor complaint

po mans silencer.... ha ha ...I like that

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
  10. cbbr

The worlds largest silencer

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Right. What sparked this was that I had to do some work at one of my companies more remote properties, and on the way is an old closed down range. Well lo and behold, there's a giant sign saying "Open", so I stop and go in to have a look. The whole range is underground, and you can just barely hear shots above ground from the outside. I must have looked like an idiot to the counter guy, cause I was all excited like a kid in a candy store, daydreaming about coming over on my lunch from this job site :rotfl: . Except, I don't normally bring my rifle to work, and my boss (anti-gun) already mentioned bringing a gun to work was very very bad.

So as I left that range, I called a local precinct and ran this "hypothetical" idea past the officer that answered the phone, and he said he didn't think it would be a problem as long as there's no chance of a round entering a public area. I was pretty surprised, but thought "Maybe there is hope for NY"... I mentioned how it was completely hypothetical and I was just wondering, so he said "Just make sure you watch out for ricochet's from that little round" ;) .

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

the sub sonic stuff sometimes dibbles out the barrel with less velocity than a hi quality pellet gun... ( and it bounces off some people).... although not bad for a contact shot

isnt the sound of angry bees with the 10-22 going off auto style supersonic fun?

In this county you only have to be 150 feet from a neighboring house and shooting in a safe manner... whatever that is....
    thanks god I have acreage now.... I wouldnt go back to the city for anything

"once you have hunted man you will never kill an animal again.. they dont shoot back... wheres the "sport" in killing bambi" Man is the only true dangerous animal.....Charlton Heston addressing a PETA lunch......
    cam

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a left wing media type? :grin:

j

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

lol, Lord knows there's no short supply around here...

15. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I prefer the shooting range that I have in my basement it's 25 yards long and my neighbors don't hear it, have shot my SKS and 9mm and nobody seems to mind.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Please, do take more pictures of that and post up. That is sweet!

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ok, that touched a nerve. If I EVER saw someone "cat hunting", I'd shoot them right in the cawk with a 40 S&W hollow point. That has got to be the most insensitive, barbaric, ignorant, retarded, and immature thing I've ever heard. Godamn jackass.:mad:

18. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Killing things for no reason is cruel. I mean, you can take two minutes to pick up a cat and walk a 100 feet away.

There's better eating and worse removal animals out there

19. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Thats not the point.

The cat thats being "hunted" is someones pet. Just like a dog. Would you go dog hunting? Of course you wouldn't. It's no different with a cat. Desensitized comes to mind. What kind of society do we live in that a person can feel no emotion/remorse in doing something blatantly cruel and barbaric? The type of people that do this kind of thing, are the same types that are in to dog fighting and bird fighting. Same type of people that would kill a person for the shoes on thier feet or make fun of someone in a wheelchair. Basically the worst that mankind has to offer. Dunno what to say. Goddamnn rediculous. There are very few topics/things that touch a nerve with me. very few things that will throw the bad temper lever. This is one of them. :mad:

20. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I was agreeing with you.

Let me get out my mallet, I think I need to drive a point home :)

Anyway, I agree. There is a base set of morals and feeling everyone SHOULD have, but some lack, and that's where a lot of problems come from. Some people's pets are family, you don't kill family.

Clear enough?