Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good batteries (dual) new alt low amps then it died ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rattler, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Rattler

Rattler Registered Member

help. i have a 84 k5 with a 89 350 tbi. running dual bats and have a new alternator .batteries are at 12.2/3 and the alternator is a 105 amps tested at 14.2 everything should be good. wrong i watched my amp gauge in the dash drop to 8 than the truck stopped working i bought the blazer recently and the alt went bad so ive replaced it i also cut somthing out i may not oughta done, there was a ammeter with 2 big red wires hooked 2 it mounted on the dash and the other end to one of the bats, i didnt it like so i took it off but that was when the previous alt was bad can anyone help me with this one hmmmm ..... also could this just be a wire, any wire, shortin out somewhere on the truck pls e-mail me

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Umm, that red wire that went to the ammeter is also what sent power from the alternator to the batteries. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif When you removed that, you stopped charging the batteries. Run a wire from the alternator output (8 or 10 gauge) to the battery (or to the battery isolator input, if you have a battery isolator). That will restore a path from the alternator to the batteries. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Rattler

Rattler Registered Member

hmmm ! guess what ? put that ammeter back in, hooked up 2 red wires and we have lift off !!!. you guys are great i love this site ........