Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good brake rotors?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Cavalry, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Both my father and I have simmilar trucks (K1500) very different driving styles but both of us go through front rotors about 30KMI (excessive runout and wear) We have tried GM, some really expensive special sprial milled ones and elcheapo autopuke ones. The trucks are not usally subjected to strange loads like trailers or campers and neither of us have ever had brake problems on other vehicles (so its not driver misuse) So whats the deal or do we just replace everything every 30K

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

You have to make sure the lug-nuts are torqued evenly!

I can't stress that enough,
    If the wheel is torqued un-evenly, the composite style brake rotor will "wobble". A slight interfrance between the rotor and the brake pads will cause the rotor to wear in sections and results in a thickness variation (brake-pulsation).

To correct the condition.
    Measure the rotor, if there is enough material left to turn, have it turned. Preferably useing an "On-car" brake lathe, that will correct for any run-out in the hub and flange. If an on-car brake lathe is used, permanantly mark the rotor in relation to the hub - as they will be matched set. Also, clean the rust and dirt from the flange before replaceing or turning the rotors.

Finaly, torque the rim evenly.