Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good bye Double Cardan CV- Hello Cornay Joint??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I know it's old but a quick search didn't turn up anything in the past month. P. 94 of March/2003 Petersen's, there's a new Cornay joint which is supposed to be stronger & smoother than a CV joint & able to handle higher loads at 90 degrees! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It also says it has been used in Baja for years. Anyone in the driveline industry care to comment? Is this the ultimate CV or are we not getting the whole story? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I haven't gotten to the point of ordering my High Angle Shafts yet so maybe this could be the new way to go?

Here's a link: http://www.drivetechnologies.com/

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

To me it looks like a CV thats longer in the yokes w/ rings around it to help strengthen it. Maybe Im just overlooking something. It should hit better angles though.

3. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

there apparently kinda pricy- on average 700-1200 $ just for the c/v alone- but maybe in the future they will be less- Jesse

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Looks like they turned a regular u-joint inside out...
    That ring is what transmits the torque and not a cross style u-joint.
    Interesting?

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Looks like a good idea. I actualy saw a real neat idea on a rockcrawler this past weekend. He use a toyota birfield as his joit for the front axle. He has having problems with the andgles his is running. It was on a 4runner with a solid front axle swap. The birfield eliminated him breaking the shaft. His test shaft was a two pieces of box steel that slid into each other, and it didnt even vibrate or bind.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Thanks Jesse & everyone

I figured there had to be a catch & the minute Baja racing comes in, I guess I should have known the price for the joint would be more than the price of a driveshaft! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

If you are only running 5.5" of lift why would you need a driveshaft that is capable of 90+ degrees?

8. Brian 89KBlazer

In reply to:

If you are only running 5.5" of lift why would you need a driveshaft that is
    capable of 90+ degrees?

........Cause I have a custom built chassis that gives me another 4-5 inches of lift over a stock frame, I have D60 & 14ff, a shackle flip set-up in the rear, & I have the drivetrain tucked up into the frame as high as I can & would like to keep it there above the bottom of the frame rails if at all possible!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Sounds cool. Do you have any pictures of that?

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Poohbair

Yes & No! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I do have some photos of the first stages of the frame construction (which are not scanned in yet) & a couple of not so good ones of it with the Blazer assembled on it. Unfortunately, my Blazer had to get thrown back together last spring to go into storage /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif & I'm only now trying to get back at it to get it finished. I'm starting to strip the body apart again to get the frame finished & then POR15'ed.

That may not be until spring when the weather warms up but I'll try to get some pics of it when I disassemble it again.

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I didnt realize you had that much lift. I looked at your profile and just seen the 5.5 bds, and thought heck you dont need 90+ for a 5.5.

12. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian buddy! Where's the pics?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif