Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good bye my old friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fabjunkie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Well the day finally came that I had to part with my first car, a '70 Cutlass. I don't have any pics from back then on the computer, but trust me, it was very nice. Well, I thought I could pull off a frame off resto when I was 18-19 and let's just say that inexperience kicked in. After many years moving it from place to place, it ended up like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After trying for a while to sell her whole, hoping that someone could take her back to what she once was, I ended up parting her out. :( I struck a deal with a guy for the chassis for his '72 Chevelle and the inevitable was about to happen. So this past Friday, I hauled the torch home from work and a buddy and I tackled it on Sat.

First cut
    [​IMG]
    The end of the car club we tried starting in high school. :haha:
    [​IMG]

Good for cruising those sunny summer days :cool1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up with this for the Chevelle guy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this for the scrap yard :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all, I ended up just ahead of what was my desperate come and get it asking price for the whole kit and kaboodle, still waaaay below what I figured I had in parts. But, it's out of my way and hopefully there is a few guys that can use the parts they bought. I still have a few things that I couldn't bear to throw away just because I know that someone can use them. This pretty much ends my Olds streak for the time being. Somewhere down the road I will own another, although I still technically own two that I have titles to. :rolleyes:

Now on to getting the 14 in the Blazer. :woot:

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That's too bad. I'm kind of in the same boat. Been trying to sell my Rampside for quite a while now. Not gonna part it out but I sure wish someone would come and take it off my hands.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Been there, almost had to do that. I feel for you.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sometimes you have to make hard choices. Every guy that ever had a project can relate to that.

5. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

badass car..i wouldve been crying if i had to cut that up

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i think im gonna be sick... :(

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

My thoughts exactly!...:eek1: I think I'm gonna peuke too!--DUDE!--you know how much that car would bring up here,even in the condition it was in ??...it looks to have been rust free compared to what we see here..I bet you just cut up and junked at LEAST 3000 bucks worth of Oldsmobile Cutlass!...:doah: :frown1:

You should have advertised it in "Hemmings Motor News"..I would have had NO trouble selling a car like that up here...you cant find a rotted HULK here for less than a grand...

Look at what the guy on the "Wrecks to Riches" show pays for old muscle cars,even in California where there are more than anywhere!...I'm sure you are in dire straights to even consider getting rid of that car--but I'd have robbed a bank before I sold that,especially if it were my first car with sentimental value..:(

I regret selling ALL the vehicles I used to own--my 69 GTO would be worth 10-15 grand if I still had it!--and my 72 K5 and 66 Buick Wildcat would bring almost as much..had I restored them properly,I could have RETIRED on the money they would bring today!..:doah:

8. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I just got sad on the inside.

Thanks.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That is making me sick too . Did it have front discs ? I will take the spindles and brackets if it did .

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I hate that feeling, I had it for a while after I sold my 40 coupe. I fowed I would never sell that car but DR bills made me. Now I'm facing it again with the willys I started. I just can't let myself scrap it. so it's being tucked away in storage and will someday be a street driven 2wd.

11. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Oh trust me guys, I know how hard it is to find this stuff up there. I've been trying for the last six months to sell it whole. Me, more than anyone, wanted it to go to someone who would do it right. All I got was tire kickers. I also belong to a Olds site much like CK5 and had it over there for a while. Everyone just wanted parts. What made it hard to sell it to the midwest/east was that it wasn't running as the drivetrain was out of it, and shippers want to be able to drive the car on and off a trailer. Not to mention all the extra big parts that would have to have been hauled seperately.

Diesel-I still have a set of rust free fenders and two sets of bumpers as well as several little things that will go on ebay shortly if you know anyone that could use them.

Pauly-I had converted it to disc when I rebuilt the chassis, but they went with the guy for his Chevelle. Sorry.

The shell itself had some rot, and needed a dr. side quarter as well as a new roof skin thanks to the vinyl top it use to have. The bottom corner of the firewall was gone where there used to be the bracket to bolt the fender to. There were good size holes along the bottom of the windsheild. So it wasn't really as clean as it appeared. :o

I didn't sell it for the need of money. It just got to the point where it's in my way, and I had lost interest in it. I tore it apart in '98 and have toted it around since then. We have been working on getting into the position to move out of state, and this was just part of the process. I've been an Olds guy because not everyone had one, and they were cheaper to build because of this. In the last 4-5 years, they have started to get like Mopars in the $ aspect. The market has pushed it to the point where I can't afford to finish them. Same reason I sold my '68 442 earlier this year. It went to New York.

My interests have shifted in the past couple of years from muscle cars to older vintage as well. I have a '29 Model A Tudoor sitting on a buddies farm that will more than likely be my next project after I get moved and settled a little. Either that or a late 30's to early 50's coupe. I have an acqauinance with an extra '36 Pontiac Coupe that I may be able to score after a little while.

I still have two motors and a tranny that will be used in aforementioned project, so the car will live on in spirit. :D

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I need that sticker you have in the back window of the Blazer. That's beautiful.

13. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I think I am going to be sick...