Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good cam and carb choice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jess, Mar 18, 2004.

1. jess

jess Registered Member

I'm "freshening" my 78 4 bolt for my K5. I'll be running a 465 with 5.13s and probably 39.5s. Engine will be mild with around 9:1 compression. Thinking of going with the Edelbrock Performer intake and matched cam kit for good driveability. Anyone running this package or have another idea for a cam? Also looking at running a matched Q-jet from Jet perhaps or Holley's Truck Avenger. Any thoughts or experiences? I wanna do it right the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're wanting to do it right, avoid the Edelbrock cam like the plague.

Since the engine is going to be mild, I would definitely suggest something EFI friendly, and that you not waste $400 on a Qjet when you can get a TBI arrangement and go EFI for about that price or not much more.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't use the edel. cam. It is very small compared to some of the smog legal cams that comp makes.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That grind is a stock replacement cam and if you are gonna be going through the trouble of a cam swap you may as well upgrade.
    What heads are you using?
    The performer intake is a good stock replacement that can handle a mild cam. Comp Cams 4x4 line has a few good choices.
    It kinda all depends on what you want the engine to do.
    I just bought a Rhoads Hydra-solid cam. With the heads, intake and carb I have it ought to be one nasty sucker.
    I'm just waitin on a few more goodies to show up so I can slam it all together. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Edlebrock Performer (Not RPM) intake $115

Summit Racing Headers $89

Summit Cam 214 224 duration $100

600 cfm carb.

You will add some major torque to your truck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Good choice, sorta the same one I was debating.
    With the exception of a Q-jet.
    The only reason I am using a 750 Ebrock carb is that is what I have to work with at this time.
    I'll run that set up till I can get ahold of an Ebrock RPM intake and rebuild one of the 454 Q-jets I have.