Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good cheap amp ......

Discussion in 'Audio' started by riz, Mar 20, 2002.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I need a good cheap amp to power a pair of 6 x 9's ...... what should I get ?

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Head out to your local best buy and pick up a jensen amp. Ceap, yet decent sounding. (IMHO)

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I know, I'm just looking for an amp that will put out decent with little distortion ....... what are some of the better brand now ? I know they change a lot and I've been away from the stereo competitions for a while now.

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

if you are wanting a clean sound then i would look at the alpine, fosgate, crossfire, even the brand new majestic's arent bad either... fosgate being the most expensive of those mentioned... but there are a hell of alot more then that..

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I used to have an old Majestic back in the day ...are they still around ? Back then it was a joke amp but it worked for me at the time .

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Riz,

An amp is one of the "few" stereo items I'd be willing to buy used from e-Bay or wherever..... No moving parts, and once it's burned-in....it will probably work forever!!!

I've always had a soft spot for the a/d/s amps. The PQ20 was their flagship amp (back in the day) with around 160W x 2, or 80W x 4......and they were always conservative in rating their power specs.

Originally, they sold for over $800......you can find them on e-Bay now for around $200 ea. I bought 4 of them to do my K5 system and they are awesome!!!!! Only a few CK5ers have had a chance to hear them in action .....but I can tell you that they are "believers" in what is now a 10-year-old amplifier-design!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Just my "not so humble" input on the subject..... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

At night, monkey's put "smudge-marks" in my underwear!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Check out the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thezeb.com>www.thezeb.com</a> they have some pretty good deals, i got a head unit, subs and an amp from them so far and they were the cheapest prices i have seen for quality components

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> thanks guys !

9. ABO

ABO Registered Member

I'd have to say that for the price, A crossfire amp will do the job. Inexpensive but good quality.