Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good Deal for K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badbowtie03, Feb 23, 2005.

1. badbowtie03

badbowtie03 Registered Member

Hey guys I found a pretty decent K5 I think.. Its a 79 Chevy with the sm465 tranny, newer rebuilt 4 bolt 350, 1 year old white paint job, interior is decent.. Stock suspension with 33's. I could get the truck for around 2500 bucks. But the problem is that it is far away from me.. Is it worth it to fly out there, look at it and then drive it back for that deal? You think it would be road worthy? How much would shipping be for about 1200 miles? Who could I ship it through? Thanks for the input! :)

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

IMO a $2500 truck isn't worth flying out to check out. I would look for something that comes up a little closer to you. Just my opinion:)

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I dunno man, i dont go with those deal unless i already know the people, and i can actually SEE the stuff, i wouldnt do it.TOO FAR. For all you know they could be off with your money, as soon as the check comes. Usually if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. Good luck , jacob

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It might be ok....

I had a friend that bought a nice 67 Chevelle from CA,he lived in NH--and wasnt about to fly 3000 miles to inspect what might have been a rat when he got there--since this car was a 396SS model with a 10 grand price tag,chances were good it was everything the owner clamed it to be,but he was still skeptical--the owner said he would send him a VHS tape of the car being driven down the road,up on a lift,showing all the body mounts and floor panels were original rust free metal,every detail of the interior,under the hood,etc--it was over an hour long!--this convinced him to go buy the car,that and the fact the owner was willing refund the money within 30 days if not completely satisfied--he flew out and spent 2 weeks there,went to disneyland at the same time,and the car was perfect--he drove it for 5 years and took it to all the car shows in his area--2 years ago he decided to sell it to a guy that pestered him about the car at every show--for 18,000 bucks!!:yikes: :waytogo: --he then found a mint 64 Chevy pickup in the same area of CA for 6 grand,we had the guy do the same thing,videotape all the trucks features and condition,and he bought that truck as well!--and reluctantly sold it last year
    for an untold sum--he would only say "I got more than twice what I paid!"--:blush:

Maybe you could have the owner camcord some video of the truck you are looking at,and it would help you decide whether its worth it or not--but the best way is to be there in person,or have someone you trust that knows what too look for that lives nearby inspect it for you--I know how it feels,seems like all the decent vehicles are always on the other side of the country when your looking for a good deal on one...:frown1:

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where is it at? Maybe someone on here can look at it for you. It doesn't hurt to ask.

6. badbowtie03

badbowtie03 Registered Member

Hey everyone, the truck is in Frisco texas.. which is right outside of Dallas... Are there many texans on this board? That would be awesome for someone to look at it! Thanks for the help guys... The owner is gonna send me some good pics of it, but maybe I can ask about a video too.. i dunno... :D