Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good deal on 454 motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Oct 3, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I found a local guy that is selling a 1992 TBI 454 out of a K3500. It comes with the Alternator, PS pump, Water Pump, AC compressor, ECM, bellhousings, clutch, flywheels and slave cylinder...Does it sound like a deal for $1500? Oh and it runs well and doesn't smoke and has 90,000 miles on it...What are your thoughts?

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Out here in Cali thats way cheap especially for everything! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThe cheapest I've found so far is $3500.00 for all that! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Bill

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Hmm, it sounds like what I was going to tell Santa I wanted for Christmas!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    Wonder if he'd deliver to the garage instead of down the chimney???

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds good to me.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That sounds like one hella of a deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sounds good but I would still check the specs on it.
    Some of the recent past motors didn't have that much HP/etc. as you would think they did. You can always beef it up if you need to? There not quite like the old days of the 454-460HP but then again, we didn't have emissions tests either. Sorry, just my $.01 /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hey Dave, check out the LS6 that's going into the 'vettes now. How about 405 NET horsepower from a smog legal 350? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Before 1970 or so, the specs were for an engine were tested with open headers, no accessories, no air filter, etc, which was GROSS horsepower. These days they're tested in the same configururation as they'll be run in the car, right down to the cats and mufflers, so that makes the numbers appear to be lower than in the musclecar era. But getting 405 HP from a small block right from the dealer lot is possible today! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And Chris, $1,500 for that engine sounds like a great deal. Are you planning to run it as is, or freshen it up before the install?

8. Storm Trooper

That's Nothing! Just saw on Trucks that Chevy is coming out with a <font color="red"> 572 BIG BLOCK!!!! </font color> 620HP and 600 ft. Lbs. of torque!! WOW. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I wounder what a Blazer would be like with that /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    ...CHEVY RULES...

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yeah, but I'll bet it wouldn't pass a smog test. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Storm Trooper

I knew you would have something for me on that one Harry.
    I'm sorry to put that motor out there for you guy's to druel over. Harry is probably right and it wouldn't pass /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
    Guess you just need to live in the Mountains like me where we don't need to worry about smog tests! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
    Maybe they should have called it the ZZ572/620 Mountain motor? Sorry Harry, I couldn't resist /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif