Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good deal on np205? and other questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RotaryConcepts, Dec 22, 2005.

1. RotaryConcepts

RotaryConcepts Registered Member

I have a 78 k5 with the fuel sucking 203 case. Found a 80 gmc 4x4 (truck) in yard today with what appears to be a 205 case. Shift pattern is 4-lo, 2-hi, 4-hi. Truck has th350 so I'm gussing it will bolt to mine.

Truck has 190k, could be 290k, who knows. He wants $75.00 pulled for it. Think it's a good deal?
    What's the typical cost of rebuilding one?

I'm also guessing I will need one or both of the drive shafts?

Another question The truck has manual locking hubs on a 10 bolt front axle, should I get this axle too?

Thanks
    Joe

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah its a good deal. I have sold just the adapters for $100. Yes it will bolt to Your th350 just make sure You get the coupler sleeve.

3. RotaryConcepts

RotaryConcepts Registered Member

Thanks for the info.
    What about the shafts? And the front axle?

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The shafts would be good to get also but I think I'd just buy some new locking hubs for your front axle. Get everything with the 205. (tcase,shifter,boot,adapter, sleeve, and crossmember if you can)

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

few things..

I swapped an older NP205 into my 74 K-20 ,(actually a 77 K20 chassis with a 74 2wd cab) that originally had the NP203 case,and a TH350..I had to use a shorter front driveshaft..I found the only year they used a short one was 1969,and I was lucky a friend just happenned to have a rotted 69 K10 in the woods behind his garage!..fit like a glove!:bow:

Since the 205 I had was a 1972 vintage,it had a 4 bolt "spicer" type front shaft type yoke,not the round "ring" 4 bolt style later ones used..it could be the "round ring" cases might use the same front shaft as the 203??..

-at any rate,the price is very reasonable,I'd grab the front shaft at least too,just in case--along with any frame brackets and shifter hardware--maybe even the crossmember too.(mine bolted right up to the 203's crossmember,but it had a slotted hole on one side for the adapter--not all crossmembers do)...go for the locking hubs too,so you can use 2wd and save gas..you don't neeed the entire front end,unless you want to have it for a spare-(would have to be the same gear ratio as your rear axle too!)--sounds like the yard isn't asking much for it,so maybe a "package deal" would be a good way to go!..

You say the one you found is a 1980 vintage??--they had a slip yoke output shaft instead of a bolt on flange for the rear driveshaft that year,I'm fairly certain..some say its not the hot setup for off roading..for 75 bucks I'd buy it anyway if it were me looking for one,and you can always convert it to the bolt on yoke later if you feel its nessasary..its way better than a NP203 case ..

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1980? watch out for slip yokes...

j