Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good Deal or Bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Hey, i just registered here. Im 15, and i have been in love with the K-5 since i was about 8 when my uncle had one. well, i just came across this deal with a guy that i know. he has a '83 w/ a superlift 6" lift, 3" body, 38.5x14.5x16.5 super swamper SX's on 16.5x12 eagle 589 alloys. it also has 1 ton running gear, i do not know the gear ratio he has, and it has a pretty much stock 305 w/the exception of a K&N Filter and exhaust. the interior is all redone. he WANTS 5000 for it, but he would take 3000 cash. im just wondering if that sounds like a good or bad deal. would i have problems w/the small engine and the 38's? b/c i can get that money pretty quick right now. i would probably eventually swap it for a 350 or maybe a small block 400 if i found a deal, but it would probably be a while. well thanks for any input.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hey there welcome to the show.
    $3000 is a pretty good deal if the rig is in good shape.
    never to young to start on the right path.[​IMG]

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Did he drop that much in price because he knows you or cant get rid of it? I would be a little leary and check the thing over pretty well! But $3000 is a good price!!!!

Find out what gears it has, but you should be o with the 305 for a little while depending ont he gears, but definatly plan on goign with a 350 or larger..

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Engine - depends on what you plan to do. It is a 4x4 and the 305 will be fine for the rest of the truck if it is geared correctly. Better have 4.56s for those tires. Before you purchase, verify axles are 1 ton (d60/14FF). There is an axle identification chart on this site - print it and visually verify the trucks axles to the chart.

Sounds like a GREAT deal therefore beware.

Dave

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Forgot - Welcome and enjoy!!!!!

Dave

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

just remember that those tires are going to be mega expensive when it comes time to replace them. this coming fro a 19 year old that had to replace some 36" swamper TSL's. Which are quite a bit less that the 39's

Check out my 73 K5 http:// members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

7. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Yea, I've already checked into that, and Tyres International seems to be the cheapest with SX's. if anyone else knows a cheaper place, please let me know. yea the guy has had the thing up for sale for about 3 months, i just don't think anyone's interested b/c of gas prices. but i have a really good job already and i will be able to afford it. so after 3 months he gave up and its sitting in his back yard out in the country. so its just waiting for me. i printed out the gear ratio chart thing. thanx everyone

8. MY85GMC

MY85GMC Registered Member

thats a damn good price for the truck considering its in good shape...things to check...on that 305 thats original how many miles or how tired is it? I'd expect to spend 5000 anyway even if you get it for 3000 cuz chances are that engine is gonne need to be replaced soon. Only other downfall i see with waht you mentioned is i like to buy a truck stock and fix'er up to my own needs and styling...other than that its a damn good deal....remember that beast may only get 8-9mpg or worst

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

good luck with it... I just bought a 73 K20 sub from some guy... he started with the price up at 3500 in the trader, then 2 weeks later dropped it to 2500... 2 weeks later, 2000. I went out and looked at it, drove it, and then he said the magic words that both filled me with joy, and scared the hell out of me at the same time: `I'll let it go for 1500, since its going to be heading for a place that it'll get used' so, I went, thought it out hastily, took out a loan on it, and bought it. the near heart attack came when I was looking for the VIN plate on it. as I later learned, ( after sweating liek a mad man over the fact I just paid 1500 for a truck with no ID plates) the VIN on that particular year is rivited to the drivers side-middle door, as opposed to the drivers side front door. &lt;whew&gt;

I;ve had it for about 2 weeks now, and some of the minor problems are begining to manifest themselves... the engine is great in it, but it really needs a better non carter Carbureator on it, and could do with a non-points distributor. about the only mechanical problems I;ve found are the 205 shifter pivot bolt is broken, and needs to be backed out, and the steering goes `clunk' for some odd inexplicable reason. other then that, I got a screamin deal... went wheelin in it last weekend, and its too cool, hehe

-Rich

1977 C20 suburban
    454/400 trailering Special
    1973 K20 suburban
    350/350/np205
    Atlantic 442 Steam locomotive
    Daisy Mt Railroad

10. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

You're pretty lucky too have a good job at only 15!! I'm also 15, ANd can't even put Frosted Flakes on a shelf in this state until I'm 16, (Damn Child labor laws[​IMG]) But yet in the winter, When I can work, I Teach Skiing too little 4-5 yr olds?!?!? I mean it's funny if you look at it, I CAN'T Put thing's on shelfs, But I CAN be put in charge of a couple little people for a few hours everydayin the winter. Anyway I'm done blabbing. Laterz

[​IMG]Inline 6's are cool[​IMG]

11. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Well i had it about that bad when i was 15. I am now 21 but when i was 15 i became a certified lifeguard. The place that i was going to work( which went through the school district) said that i was too young to be put on the pay role but i could volunteer if i wanted to. now is that retarded or what. you are old enough to protect peoples lives but notold enough to get paid. Man that was Bull$hit!!
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</A>

12. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

3000 is worth just the axles and suspension!

1988 K5- Piss on Ford/Dodge/Jeep

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am 17, and I've done a great job building my truck on low wages. You don't need $2000 for a motor either. I payed $100 for mine, used, from a good friend, and I promise you that it has more power than any smallblock on this site with TBI. Oh, BTW, it's a 305, and one day I'll have a dyno sheet to prove it. I used to think 305s were junk too, I know what you're thinking....but trust me, no joke, this one HAULS.

I'd buy it right away! I suspect that it has 3/4 ton axles, as few people would go to the trouble to get a 1 ton truck. Either are good, even 3/4 tons can take quite a beating and 38s aren't a problem.

If you have 6" and 3" I'd be looking at a new set of 39s or 40s! A friend of mine with a K20 and that same lift runs 39.5 Boggers.

It's hard to build a nice truck on this wage, but not impossible. I've got a 4" Rancho suspension, 35" BFG M/Ts, some decent chrome 15x10 8 lug wheels, new fuel tank, brakes, engine, performer intake, edelbrock carb, comp cam, melling, moroso, etc. I've also got a dual exhaust with Dynomax Jet-Hot coated headers and glasspacks. As you can see, I've got some goodies. Last year I worked at a Marina fixing boat engines. I worked at Wal-Mart during the school year, then got fired from there. I'm currently un-employed, but I pick up mechanic jobs here and there. I just made $200 the last couple days for changing an engine.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles