Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good deal or no? --UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Jan 17, 2004.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Just found a Dana 60/14 bolt combo for $850. The front is a open with 4.10 and the rear is 3.73 govloc. Is it worth is? I might have a chance to get the whole truck though? Its got a 465/205 combo. Which route to go? HELP!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Kris

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: Good deal or no?

Since most D60's go for over $1K alone, that is a good deal if complete. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

The guy said it was complete from disc to disc and the rear from drum to drum. Most dana 60's go for $1000 or more here too.

Kris

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh yea..defenetly a good deal i would say..and if you can get the whole damn truck...go for it!! but just for the axles alone id go for it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just get the front axle as cheap as possible, that rear is worthless.

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

The guy said $800 for the just the front or $850 for both. Then he said he might just sell the whole truck for the right price. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighboorhood of $1000 is what he is looking for. Thanks for all the input.

Kris

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Good deal if you dont want a detroit in the 14FF or if you can find an open carrier for it(they are usually easy to find). Even the D60 ft for $850 isnt bad at all. Is the D60/14B combo from the same truck? If so why the ratio difference? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

If the D60 is complete and operational! H377 yes snap it up with no thoughts about the 14FF! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Bill

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hell yes It is a good deal, take both the 60 and the 14 bolt. So what if you have to re-gear........

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I gotta agree. Looks like a good deal. Most places around me want 800+ for a D60. I would pull the diff cover and check it over good, but still sounds good.

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Definitely worth it if there are no issues. But the different ratios could have created some problems if it was actually driven in 4WD. $1000 for the whole truck isn't bad if you need other stuff from it, but if all you want are axles, just buy the 60. [ QUOTE ]
    that rear is worthless.

[/ QUOTE ] As usual, Tim is wrong, that rear isn't worthless but you could probably find a 14FF with 4.10 cheaper than what you will pay for new(not new to you used) gears and installation.

If you happen to have 3.73 now like it says in your profile, I'd buy the truck and swap front axles, then sell it and you might get back most of your $1000.

Whatever you do, get at least the 60 at that price.

12. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input everyone! You've confirmed what I was hoping you were going to say! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm going to go look at everything tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep you posted!

Kris

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    As usual, Tim is wrong, that rear isn't worthless but you could probably find a 14FF with 4.10 cheaper than what you will pay for new(not new to you used) gears and installation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which was my point exactly. Not useless, but useless to him. In that case, you told me I was wrong, but then basically agreed with me. So, in doing so, you've contradicted yourself. I don't know what the difference between, "worthless" and "you could probably find a 14FF with 4.10 cheaper than what you will pay for new(not new to you used) gears and installation" is, but it doesn't seem like much to me, just a wordier way to say its not doing you any good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14 FFs with 4.10s are a dime a dozen. Hell I've got an extra one laying around now. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'd definitely snatch up the D60, but unless you're going to buy the whole truck, I'd honestly pass on a 3.73 geared 14 bolt full floater, especially with a gov-loc. If you were planning on building up a housing it'd be a good deal, but other than that, that axle won't really do you much good, especially with a gov lock out back.

14. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I went and looked at the axles and truck last night. The front is for sure a Dana 60 out of a single rear wheel K30. The gears look brand new. The axle was disassembled, so I checked out the axle shafts and they all looked to be in really good shape. Its going to need all new bearings and seals though. Any idea about what this will cost me? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Its all there though. The rear looks to be in good shape as well. I didn't realize how big a 14 bolt was until I saw it without a truck sitting on top of it. As said before, the gears don't match, but the whole set, with some steal wheels and crap tires to move everything around on is gonna set me back $850. I'm going to pick everything up tomorrow. I'll post pics of what I've got when I get it home. Thanks for all the advice and help everyone!

Kris

15. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

One thing to remember is you can put alot of money into a 60 and 14 ff....got about 4000.00 in mine. Depending on what size tire you plan on running you might have to re-gear both axles anyways.........

16. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt buy it if i were you.

so were is it located again? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

sounds like a deal. buy it.

17. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on running 35's for now. With 4.10's in the front, I figure that'll be fine as it will be driven daily quite a bit too.
    Hey Jacked. I'm located in Sherwood, just outside of Little Rock. I'll tell you where I got it all from when I get it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Kris