Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good deal or Not? Repl;ace my 6.2 Diesel wiith Chevy 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TK5, Sep 2, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I have an opportunity to purchase a 454 for $600. The engine is coming from a former drag racer that had pulled the engine after a couple passes on the strip. It has a standard steel crank that has never been turned and is great shape. The heads have been ported and polished and have a 3 angle valve job. The cam is a competition cams 292 with 526 lift and is also in good shape. Overall is the engine is good shape. The cylinders are in great shape with no ridge at the top. The only problem there is on 7 rods with pistons. he used the piston and rod in another 454. No intake or carbureter.

I know that 454's cost quite a bit more if you can find a good one which this one is in great shape. Can I justify buying the 454 to replace a tired running 6.2 diesel. Should I purchase this engine to replace my 6.2? I know this a silly question but I had to ask because I have never had any dealings with big blocks, only small blocks.

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

remember...there is no replacement for displacement. but on the other hand....your pocketbook is gonna pay for those extra cubes. i have a built BBC with 500 hp and i pay the price....4.5 MPG. now dont get me wrong....i love the power...but your diesel is gonna get way more MPG n e day of the week. but for the price id b all over it

NITRO

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm actually considering the exact opposite. I might swap the 454 for a 6.2 Diesel. Why? I'm paying more than $2/Gal and getting about 8mpg at best. I just bought a junk 67 Camaro which would be nice with the 454 in it.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad has a 454 with a cam in it that is NOT suited to a truck. Horrid mileage (even with OD) and it is no fun to drive, since the motor only starts pulling about the time the axle starts hopping. Besides, the crummy idle is annoying as well.

Engine you are talking about is set up for high RPM use, and unless you are going to drag it, the low end is gonna be painfully lacking.