Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good deal or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Jul 21, 2001.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I found a 12 bolt with 3.73s and posi. The guy wants 400 bucks. Everything inside the pumpkin is fresh. I'm running a stock 12 bolt with 3.08s now. I will have to run with no front drive shaft for a little while til I can change the fronts to 3.73s. Should I jump on it, or is he smokin crack?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ask for the reciepts and if you can crack the cover open to inspect it. Also pull the drums off to inspect the brakes.

$400 would be ok if everything IS good and new and rebuilt.

BTW, even if you put this rear in the truck, you DON'T have to take the front driveshaft off. Just remember NOT to engage the t-case. [​IMG] Also, leave the lockouts unlocked, too.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

For a comparison, a Detroit True-Trac posi for a 10 bolt is roughly $330 new. Gears would run anywhere from $130-160, depending on brand. And installation of both could run you from $200-300. This is what I have found. So, if you were to try and upgrade your existing axle to this setup, it would run you about $600-800 (I assume a 12-bolt would be comparably priced). So, if it is good shape, it is a good deal.

And, if you do this and have a 10-bolt up front, let me know. I am replacing my 3.73 front 10-bolt gears within the next month as I upgrade to 4.56s. Maybe we can make a deal.

brian

85 GMC Jimmy <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd go for it if you're going to run 33" tires or smaller, and they can prove it was properly rebuilt by a shop, and there is a warrenty.

Otherwise go get a 14 bolt (either one). They usually come with low gears.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm prob gonna go for it. I am runnin 33s and the guy I am buying it from runs the 4x4 shop that built this rear about 5mos ago, and hes givin me a limited waranty. Sounds fair to me.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Buy it if he can prove the new stuff.... just to have gears dropped in a pumpkin in my neck of the woods they want like $300 bucks! You got the whole set up for $400 which is a good deal here!

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.