Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good deal or not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stubs84, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Stubs84

Stubs84 Registered Member

So been looking for 1 ton axles and i happened to call one of my local shops and he said he has sum h was gonna put under one of his other "toys" so its a Dana 44 front and 14 rear 4.10 gears i belive he said out of an 79 K30 pickup with 6 inch lift springs and 38's mounted on 8 bolt rock crawlers, he said 1000 for all of it, wutcha guys think anything i should look for when i go over tommarow to look at em?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is a 3/4 ton combo, not the much sought after one ton combo. The D44 was used in 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons and the only difference between the two is the 3/4 ton version was 8 lug. It could still be a good deal, but those 38's would have to be near new IMO.

one ton = D60 front.

Rene

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

$1000 is high for a d44/14 combo. 4.10 is a pretty common ratio. Standard price on a 14ff is anywhere from $100-200, while the D44 is around $150 or so. At least, I wouldnt pay more than that for one of them in stock form.
    -Harrison

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Sorry - I got confused. Is he giving you the axles, wheels and tires or just the axles?

Tire's, wheels and axles, as Rene said the tires should be new for that price. Try and get the brand of tire and look up prices before heading over.

The 14bff/D44 combination is no big deal to find. You can usually find those fairly easily. D44 or 10 bolt can be gotten for anywhere from nearly free to a couple of hundred depending on what it needs. One guy on CK5 gave one away just to get rid of it a few months back. An asshat from CL wanted $250 for one with leaks on both ends and a severly bent tie rod. I left before I looked for any other problems. Just keep your eyes open.

14bff - anywhere from $100 to $250 depending.

If the combination was a D60/14bff - that would be a nice find.

5. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

If it was under a k30 originally then it is a d60. k30's are one ton IIRC. So if has a d44 then someone made a switch-a-roo on him or you. Of coarse i could be making all this up!!!

6. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Piece of advice - Don't take ANYONE's word for what it is. Look, check and verify what you are looking at. Guys here find and post up "D60" being advertised[FONT=&quot] all the time on evilbay that are actually D44's.[/FONT]

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

You could be....but your not.:D

I noticed that too when I first read the post "its a D44 front and 14 rear 4.10 gears i believe he said out of a 79 K30 pickup"

It came factory with a D60, but if he said D44 then someone either switched it out on him, or hes doing it to you.
    -Harrison

8. Stubs84

Stubs84 Registered Member

thanks guys, ill figure out exactly wut axles they are when i go look, its for everything, axles tires and wheels and the lift kit, dont know if ill be able to utilize the springs, he also said hed have a guy at the shop help me with the swap so thats aslo kinda of a bonus being able to do it there in theyre shop, you guys gotta know im from a podunk town in kansas bout 5000 people, so finding parts isnt the easiest unless i wanna drive forever. ill scope it out and let yall know wut i find tommarow.