Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good deal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PonchoCatalina, Oct 17, 2005.

1. PonchoCatalina

PonchoCatalina Registered Member

A neighbor of my in-laws has a 1990 1/2-ton Suburban 4x4, 6.2l for sale. It appears to be stock w/ 134,000 miles on it. The owner told me it has been sitting for three years and needs new batteries, but he'd provide them. He also claims that the transmission was rebuilt shortly before he parked it. The vehicle seems straight, albeit dirty, with no rust except streaks of the surface stuff on the roof (not rot, just the common thinning paint/orange streaks). He's asking $1800, but will consider all offers. Assuming that it fires right up and drives with the addition of new batteries, how does this deal sound? What's a reasonable offer? Anything to look out for on a diesel that has sat for three years? Thanks.
    - Poncho

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'd go for it. Offer him $1500 or a little less though, cause of diesel prices and all :waytogo:

3. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

If you dont go for it where is it? what axles, transfer case etc etc ??

4. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

same problems you'll find with a gas motor that has set, but could be much more costly to fix any. Let him put the batteries in and see if it fires right up. If it won't start, walk. Diesel needs treatment just like gas, it doesn't go stale but grows algae that will kill your $$$$ injector pump. That, unlike a carburetor, is not a do it yourself job, must be done in a sealed dust free room with white gloves and the whole bit.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if it runs get it. id jus about kill for a diesel right now. im looking to find a diesel truck to swap all my stuff over to.

its gonna have 30spline 10b's and np241 if its 1/2ton

6. afroman006

Injection pumps are about $350 and are a bitch to swap out but certainly dont need that kind of treatment. I wouldnt back down from it even if it does need a new IP.

7. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't be scared!

My 82 K20 had sat 2 years with a blown 6.2 in it,with the replacement boneyard motor sitting in the bed waiting to be installed--it was installed in the truck when I bought it,but the owner knew nothing about diesels,and had to get it out of the dealership's parking lot he worked at,so he sold it cheap to a friend of mine..who sold it at a slight profit to me,since I'd have to do quite a bit of tinkering to get it running..it had a freshly rebuilt TH400 in it,and supposedly the 6.2 they put in had 80,000 original miles (I don't believe that,but who knows)..

Anyway,after replacing some cracked rubber fuel lines,and using one of the dual tanks only(other one leaks,so I swapped the lines to the other one),a set of new glowplugs,and I got her fired up!--it plowed my driveway all last winter,we had 25 storms,and 9 feet of snow..I'd have been screwed without it--my other plow truck, a 74 K20 ,had lost reverse,and it was so rotted I cut it up and scrapped it! :(

That 1000 dollar K5 diesel Burblover is selling looks like a good deal--I'd be all over a K5 with a diesel,had I the cash--it would make a sweet plow truck,easier to manuver,and more room for all the junk I like to carry too..after seeing how my diesel plows,a K5 with one would be the berries!---a suburban is nice too,you can sleep in one if need be,and despite the size and wheelbase,they can go anywhere a longbed pickup can..a diesel one would be my first choice in a burb..better fuel milage!.. :D ..

I'd say buy it before its too late,after you hear it run of course (if possible--I gambled on mine,and won...) wont hurt to jew him down on the price if possible,but 1500 is a fair price if its not rusted.. :crazy:

9. PonchoCatalina

PonchoCatalina Registered Member

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll try to go see if we can get it running this weekend and post the results. Thanks again!
    -Poncho

10. afroman006

Also, in the words of the great David Oliver (AgDieseler here), "If a 6.2 wont start, its either fuel, or fuel..."