Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good deal??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Jun 27, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while but have recently actively started building up my 88 K5. In looking at my options I ran across a guy at work who offered this...

He's a drag racer and has a 81 camaro with a 496 in it and a TH400 built. I've seen it run on the 1/4 under 10 seconds. He's offered the whole car with an extra built TH400 for about 6500.

My thought, buy it, drop the 496 & TH400 in the K5, put the 350 & 700R4 in the camaro and re sell.

Any flaws that stand out at you in my plan? I figure since the 496 is a stroked 454, it should fit in no problem. I know some K5's had TH400 in them so I don't see an issue with the t-case. Obviously, the diffs will need some upgrading and the ECM will have to go in the camaro (K5 is TBI) but what do you all think?

Thanks guys!

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

I say go for it but when you put the th400 in you'll need an adapter for the T-case. I did this in my truck when i blew up my 700r4.

Good luck... and if you dont want the motor...im close i'll GLADLY take it off your hands lol

3. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

lots of work if you do it throw a carb on the 350 that would be easy 6500 is steep for engine and trans you have to buy more parts for would make more sense to just put 6500 into truck thats alot of truck then. plus what gas does it run, cam, would not jump into it IMO.