Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good engine wash and prep?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jess, Apr 11, 2004.

1. jess

jess Registered Member

Short of steam clean or a hot tank what works best for removing grime and rust off an engine in the driveway? The short block is very strong so I don't need to tear it all the way down and send it out. I'm just gonna give it a freshening and repaint.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're going to repaint the engine, use Easy-Off oven cleaner.

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Just about any auto parts place will sell some kinda engine degreaser. Just spray some of that on and go to the $.25 carwash and blast away. It works best if you can find a carwash that heats the water. Hot water works better.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

a couple of large brushes(like the household ones to scrub) and a big tub of cheap hand cleaner. Just dip the brush in and start brushing. hose off to reveal a new luster.

5. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

Dawn dishwashing liquid, HOT water scrub with brushes then rinse, let it dry/blow it off then easy-off oven cleaner the really nasty stuff.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have tried just about all of it...from EZ-off, paint thinner, simple green, Tide, etc...

I have found they all work out OK but you still are going to be doing ALOT of scrubbing. I got a small wire brush for my cordless drill and that is what really does the trick.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

That Castrol "Super Clean" stuff works good--but keep it away from aluminum--it took the paint off a brand new briggs and stratton mower right down to the bare metal,and pitted it pretty badly! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--but it says not to on the bottle /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif--wish I read it before I sprayed my aluminum wheels with it!.It did clean them REAL good though!.It is a good cleaner--just be careful what you use it on. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif