Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good enough to tow with??

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by sapper, Oct 26, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK when i bought my wife "her" truck the thing was suppose to be a tow rig, its a 2002 2500HD but it only has the 6.0, to get the cool guy 12,000lb rating you need the 8.1 or Duramax, It could pull 10,000lbs but it would need 4.10s and only the work trucks are geared that way, so now i think its down to around 8,000lbs, with a K5 around 6000 and the trailer it would be maxed out if it can do it at all. So what do you all think, does it has enough to get the job done, and would adding powerwhere i could make any real difference? Things like a K&N FIPK or one of those computer reprogramers? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif TIA

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

You will be fine. My Dad has same truck and easily tows a 30' Fifth Wheel camper with it and has no problems. He loves the power and mileage. In fact this is his second 6.0 truck. He traded his '99 in on this one to get the bigger brakes of the HD and both extended cab doors to open. I think GM gets a little carried away with the two ratings of the smaller engine trucks. It is the same truck as the Dmax and 8.1, but just less power.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

This truck has the 4.10s, 6.0l gas and alot of the aftermarket power adders, but also has a 6" lift and 35s. It towed OK I'm sure a stock truck with this setup would have done better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Your in the clear bro. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt worry about it, just dont get in a rush going over passes /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a '03 2500HD with 4.10 gears and it's an LS package...definitely not a work truck package. In fact, 4.10 gears were the most common I found on the lots...anyways....

I don't think you will have any problems towing with the 6.0L and 3.73 gears. The 6.0L puts out 300 HP, this is way more power than just about anything offered in a pickup up until about the mid to late '90s with the introduction of the Vortec 454. You are looking at around 8,000 lb. load (6k K5 and 2k trailer), what do you mean "if it can do it at all". Do you really think the engine won't be able to get the thing moving or something? Back when I was in school I worked construction in the summer. They had a bunch of extended wheelbase flatbed 1-ton Chevy and Fords with straight sixes (292 Chevy and 300 Ford). On the truck bed we would have probably 1,000 lbs. and then hook up a 6,000 lb. Bobcat, sure it was slow but it got you there.

Speaking of power, this should not be really high up on your priorities when it comes to a tow vehicle. Stable handling at highway speeds and good brakes are WAY more important for towing than being able to pull 75 mph up a grade.

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the info everyone!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I didn't see it in this post so I'll mention it. Don't forget the trailer brakes. Once you use them you don't want to tow without them.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The heaviest thing I've ever tried to pull was a Postal truck, with a 20,000 GVWR. I got it 5 feet, but I could literally feel EVERYTHING being strained. I dont think your truck would have any problems.

Id definately save the bucks from the filter and chip and whatever else and invest in an anti sway/weight distributing setup. best decision I've ever made when its come to towing!

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I know this is a stoopid newb Questons, but when you say invest in the antisway, is that something on the truck or on the trailer?
    btw NTA, what are specs on your trailer?

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Here's a link to a sway control kit for the trailer. It's not a stupid question. It's stupid not to ask about what you don't know.

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Where's the link?

btw i like your icon, I have a big ole' flag poster of it.