Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good experience with CA CHP....got a ticket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigMac, Nov 27, 2002.

1. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

A little background.. 10 years ago I got a DUI. That ticket was probably the best thing that ever happened to me.. it gave me a wake up call. Time for a lifestyle change and all that. That was my last ticket. fast forward to yesterday..

Yesterday I put more local highway miles on my truck than I had for a long time. I went to SanJose for lunch with my wife. After lunch, I went up to Oakland for a buddy of mine. One the way back to Fremont I stopped in SanLeandro to pick up a rifle at Traders. I toss the rifle into the truck leaned up where the passenger would sit and away I go.
    I'm cookin along at 65 when I see a CHP getting on the freeway..A couple minutes later he's in my drivers side mirror.. I knew I was going to get pulled over when he fell back to get another look at my plates. He finnally falls in behind me and hits his red light, so I hit my blinker and pull on over for him.

Now I'm thinking to myself, oh friggin great... hes going to stip my truck when I tell him I have this rifle (right in plain view) because he can... when he came up to the window, I popper across the seat and rolled down the window so we could talk... (the rifle is 12 inches from his nose) and he proceeds to tell me my month tag is too faded. Can I see lisence and reg please... He runs my plates and record comes back and explains I need mudflaps and a new month sticker... Tells me what to do when its fixed so I don't have to go to court or pay any fines...

I whish him a Happy Thanksgiving and we part our ways.

I am TOTALLY blown away! What A difference a hair cut and ten years makes. I expected to get stripped searched on the side of the road.. He never even mentioned the rifle.

Man I never thought I'd have such a good experience with a cop, let alone a CHP. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The funny part is I have had my truck lifted like this for over 3 years and never got told I needed mud flaps /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

From what I've heard about those cowboys, you're lucky to be alive.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Kind of odd that he didn't mention it. I got my first ticket in 8 years last week for making a right turn at a red light at an intersection. I didnt see the NEW sign that said no right turn on red. I thought for sure he was going to site me for mud flaps but he didn't even notice the tires sticking out 3 inches on each side, or he was being nice about it.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I've got a real good bud thats a CHP and man does that guy want to smoke pot....he was like the biggest pot head in high school and now a cop.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Im sprised he doesn't have all the pot he can let you go with a warning on /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I often travel with a large number of firearms. I make sure my ducks are in a row and never have problems. This one was still in the box w/ the 4473 hanging out the end. I never get pulled over. I dont know why I'm not on the side of the road all the time. My truck weaves... It follows ruts..the crown in the road wind and it just plain handles like a 30+ year old truck...I am a DUI stop every time I am behind the wheel.... If Im hunting oh man I am using the dots to keep track of the road /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess I should be glad I wasnt hualing my AR's.. They really look like guns all locked up in their cases with matching ammo cans. I really dont want to have to hang out waiting for registration checks, etc..

I spose it helps that I have a little more respect than I used to.

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Your attitude will play a big role in what a cop will and will not do.

8. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I kinda knew that but, I hadn't been pulled over in 10 years. I'm not out raising hell any more. When I do have a reason to talk to the police any more, their on my side. I traded in fast cars for slow trucks... I dont "party" anymore... I really thought I was being stopped for swerving.

I can testify that this is alot better than, "can you step out of the car sir? Empty your pockets for me on the hood. You dont mind if we search your car, do you?"

Ahh the benifits of bein an old guy.

So anybody ever make their own mud flaps for a first gen?

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No, but here is a tip on how to do it. Mount them to the bumper w/ a piano hinge, put a hole in the bottom of the flap and a hook inside the fender. Now when you go wheeling fold them forward, they will be out of the way and keep crap from being flung up there (but I guess you don't get too much mud in CA). If you have ever looked a Pinzguer (sp) you will know where I got the idea.

10. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Your attitude will play a big role in what a cop will and will not do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.......If you (We /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif) mind our manners and are civil and polite, most cops that I know will give you a break on a MINOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE[/b}

If you are smoking a joint (GreenBlaze) doing 90 mph down the PCH, listening to F%^&amp; The Police, with a car load of drunk hookers /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif.......................expect some consequences.

If you feel you have been wronged by the cop, take it to court!!! Cops do not like standing next to your car with our A$$es hanging out in traffic. We especially hate standing next to your car with our A$$es hanging out in traffic arguing about a citation.

****DISCLAIMER**** This is not a rant from a bitter cop, Just my trwo cents .

11. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

are you kidding.... I probably dropeed a dirt clod in the road in front if this guy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am 5 min from a year round mud hole (ahem its in a wildlife preserve) we got mud here too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I was nice enough to leave him room on the passenger side..

I really do hate the way mud flaps look... I gueess if it keeps me off the side of the road it'll be worth it.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

with a car load of drunk hookers

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now if the violator offered up a couple of the hookers, well then maybe everything would be right with the world. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Bingo.......If you (We ) mind our manners and are civil and polite, most cops that I know will give you a break on a MINOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE[/b}

If you are smoking a joint (GreenBlaze) doing 90 mph down the PCH, listening to F%^&amp; The Police, with a car load of drunk hookers .......................expect some consequences.

If you feel you have been wronged by the cop, take it to court!!! Cops do not like standing next to your car with our A$$es hanging out in traffic. We especially hate standing next to your car with our A$$es hanging out in traffic arguing about a citation.

****DISCLAIMER**** This is not a rant from a bitter cop, Just my trwo cents .

[/ QUOTE ] I always treat cops the same as I would want to be treated myself. For the most part, the officers are pretty cool. They have a job to do, and if I **** up and run a stop sign infront of them, I dezerve a ticket. What I don't like is the certin few officers that are on a power trip. The ones you treat with respect, and they treat you like a piece of $hit anyways. I've been know to ask them why they act like that when I've been treating them with respect. Most of the time they stop, and apoligize, but sometimes it makes the tickets worse. My biggest problem is that I will stand up for myself if I think I'm in the right. (Stupid me)

15. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I learned, many many moons ago, that you absolutely should stand up for yourself when you know your right. Unfortunetly, if your arguing a ticket, the place to stand up for yourself is in court. Arguing on the side of the road only got my head bumped getting into the car. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Kind of odd that he didn't mention it. I got my first ticket in 8 years last week for making a right turn at a red light at an intersection. I didnt see the NEW sign that said no right turn on red. I thought for sure he was going to site me for mud flaps but he didn't even notice the tires sticking out 3 inches on each side, or he was being nice about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were gonna say you were popping wheelies around corners again and finally got caught!
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

dude.. go to a local truck stop and get some cool ones.. like 12 bucks each... They have all kinds with different truck names, and plain black ones... and they can be trimmed.. mine are on wingnuts for easy disconnect!
    [​IMG]

There like HUGE I have 6 inch plus 3 body and 35's and they cover very well..
    I hate them too, but would you want to have rocks and crap on your windshield? no, neither do I...

18. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Are there any truck stops in Silicon Valley? I'de sure like to find one. I understand that truck stops usually have radio shops as well.