Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good frame/welding shop Portland area...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by clubba68, Jan 9, 2004.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I have a small crack (about 1/2" long) on the top of one of my frame rails that I would like to get repaired before I put my winch and bumper on the front. Does anyone have a qualified shop in the Portland area that they would recommend that could do the work?
    Thanks.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

T-Roy should be qualified to fix it. Just drill out the ends of the crack then weld it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

He says he doesn't want to mess with the frame. Can't blame him. He just doesn't want to be liable for a frame that isn't on his truck. I think he could do it, just would rather not.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Have you thought about taking a welding class at school? Might try taking a class and using your truck as the project material while you are there. Not sure what school you go to I guess either but might try a community college for an extra class just for your personal experience if your current school doesnt offer anything.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

take your rig to troy's when i'm there and i'll do it for you andrew /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Andrew, I remembered that I know a frame guy in Vancouver. His name is Dave Jacobus and he owns/runs Vancouver Frame (Ihink that is the name of his shop). I will call him tomorrow and see if he can do you a favor/cut you a deal. He should be able to. HIs shop is located just off St. Johns and Minnihaha. I'll PM you as soon as I know something.
    T-roy
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Cool, that would be awesome.
    And yes Kenny, I have looked into taking one at my school, but it has to be the basis of your curriculum. You have to take like 12 hours of it per term I think. I would really love to take it as like a 4 credit class, but with business as my major I can't go fulltime for both. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Oh, and thanks for the offer Jeff!

8. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Jeff is going to be coming up next weekend, if you want him to do it. They are ready to refit. You are going to [darn], dude. Give me a yell.
    T-roy

9. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They teach welding at U of O?

I didn't know they taught any useful trades in Eugene

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

John's Frame Shop at 199th and Burnside. They did my K5 and another my 75 K5 about 8 years ago when they had to graft an entire frame section on. 503-661-5139

11. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Thank you Burb!
    IGOR, I go to LCC (Last Chance College [actually Lane Comm. College]). This is my last year there, and then I am transferring over to UO.

12. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Wish I could come refit them this weekend T-Roy, but I don't know when the next time I am going to be back up is going to be.

13. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oh okay -

That's alright then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

How about I put them on Ryan's Blazer and let him run the until you can get up here? Just kidding, but I am only a couple hours away from having them done. I naad to know where you want your front lights (center or outboard) and what you want me to do for paint. Yes, we really are to that point, finally...
    T-roy

15. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How about I put them on Ryan's Blazer and let him run the until you can get up here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sick and was coughing a ton when I started to read your post, but I stopped instantly when I read this part. Bastard. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Center just outside the shackle hangers for the lights I guess. NOT outside the bend. Paint... I don't know. Maybe it is time for a new post? I think it is. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Glad you got that one. Color it done. Hey, are you going to send me the white lights, or do I need to get them? I'm still dragging ass on money, especially after losing 2.5 days of work last week. I will cut the holes and we'll go from there. By the way, I assume that you will want them to end up Black. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    T-roy

17. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Black? I was thinking more along the lines of Teal. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Anyways, we can do the lights however you want to. I would rather not have to pay for shipping. Is there any way that we can hold off on them until I come home again, or do you need them before-hand? If so, I can either get them shipped up to you, or give you the part #'s and money to go pick them up. Otherwise, if it can wait, I will just go pick them up from Jeremy and bring them up with me next time. Let me know.

18. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

If you can pick them up, that would be great. I don't need the lights until we go to wire them up. I just needed to know where to cut the holes. When I build the wiring harness, I'll just leave them stubbed out. That part is really easy.
    T-roy