Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good god what next???"New DMV Head Advocates Tax On Miles Driven"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Nov 17, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

good god what next???\"New DMV Head Advocates Tax On Miles Driven\"

Link to story Man this is crazy, instead of a gas tax, they want to charge us for miles driven, by placing a tracking device in our cars /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif......... Not to keen on that idea!!!

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: good god what next???\"New DMV Head Advocates Tax On Miles Driven\"

Thats a bunch of BS !!!!

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Leave it to CA to come up with such brilliant, intrusive ideas.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Big brother is watching. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Infuckensane !!!!

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i bet i could remove it rather easily /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

So the concept of having people's odometer read when they go get their vechicle smogged or when they renew their plates was too radical of an idea ?

Quick, lets tax people more for driving high mileage cars or alternative fuels (vegi oil).

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Think about it, it would actually help us out. Our vehicles consume a lot of gas relative to miles travelled. It would put the tax on how much you drive, not what type of vehicle.

Don't give me this big brother crap either. If you are driving on public roads the government already knows where you live and the milage on your car. I say do it!!

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Who decides what get's taxed?? That ticks me off. If I build a car that runs by pedal power, who the heck are they to tell me I have to pay tax on what I built for my personal usage?
    Does the tax apply if I have to have my car towed 40 miles? How about if I push it a mile? What if it's stolen, will the state charge me to locate it, then tax me on the distance the thieves drove it?

In NY (my county at least) we pay sales tax on a vehicle, "road usage" tax in addition to my property taxes (which include road maintenance; double taxing?), tax in the price of gas, and I think a tax on the vehicle registration. That's not including all the fees/surcharges/taxes on the license.

Isn't this why we fought britain? To stop getting taxes wrapped around everything we need? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

No. We fought Britian over taxation without representation. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

how about **** the tax pierod, i like that alot better, its not like the roads around here have gottten any better

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I must agree, the road through downtown Placerville is [censored]. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Right, I didn't want to say that because we sort of have representation now... But the root of it was that the taxes were ridiculous. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Maybe to honor our nation's history we should start throwing gasoline into the ocean in protest. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Or electric cars...

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You know, I've read several different conversations on this topic throughout the Intraweb and haven't seen something brought up...................

California roads right now suck. Due to a high population and no money to fix them. Alan Autry (mayor of Fresno) and Bob Waterston (Fresno Co. Commish) floated an idea making SR99 from B-field to what, Sac a toll road to help pay for repairs. Of course that idea didn't go over too well. Then before I left, the idea, I believe Autry was behind it also was to get 99 made into an Interstate so it could receive more federal funding. That idea seems plausible.

If you are not familiar with things in CA, SR99 is a state route that runs just off the west slope of the Sierra. You can pretty much give it the designation of being the main state thoroughfare. B-field, Visalia, Fresno, Modesto, Sac and points in between are all on this route. It is a major business hub of the country. Most of your produce comes from this area. There is a boatload of traffic on on this road. I drove it for 2 years straight M-F and no matter what time of day, there always was heavy traffic.

I-5 is the other major north/south route in the state. I'd wager to guess it doesn't see as much traffic, except south of B-field and north of Sac. It's been years since I was on I-5 between B-field and Sac, but north and south of those places, I have been on frequently up until the time I left. Those parts of the roads seem in good repair. SR99 though is a fawking tank trail in places. Nothing is being done to fix it.

With that being said, take a look at the state itself. High taxes, high vehicle registration fees, smog fees, you name it. They have all of this income, yet they are broke. Why? The system in CA is broke.

This is the common trait of government, help create a problem and then provide a solution to the problem, which just usually adds to the problem. They need to go back and start over. Hard to do because no matter what, CA is going to be a major hub in this country.

We need CA, just don't need all the scumbag liberals that run it...........

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You've obviously never been to NYC- Try a 4-8 dollar toll each way, and the've been collecting it for over 50 years.

Its beyond what was the cost of the bridge, now they are just making too much money, and the roads here are more pot holed than our whole air campagne in Europe during WWII.

The smart asswipes here keep using tar instead of concrete roads, which the inital cost is higher, but lasts 10x longer. And they keep using salt and big plows rather than mandating snow tires. Each winter, the roads get worse and worse and worse, it just chips away. The FDR drive along the west side of manhattan has over 18" of standing water when it downpours due to the whole roadway being sunken.

Tell me where the representation for the taxation went please.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We need CA, just don't need all the scumbag liberals that run it...........

[/ QUOTE ]
    I dont think the voters in cal have any brains either.
    Didn't California voters just approve prop 71 to fund stem cell research to the tune of 3 Billion Dollars /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Jees! Your roads are falling apart but Prop 71 was approved by almost 60% of voters.
    Dont fill the pot holes. We would rather suck out babys brains.
    What a screwed up state.

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I compleatly agree, shifting the tax from one spot to another isent going to help make a difference, niether is raising it, Our state govenemnt is so jacked up, that needs to be fixed before we will se any benifits from our taxes, Althought they have made alot of improvemnts on I-80 between the causeway and Watt Ave., also(and im not shure this comes from the same funds) the light rail has expanded past Sunrise Blvd. and will be into Folsum soon, so these are good things but still the side roads are in crappy shape, and like Brian said, Hwy 50 through downtown P-ville is a wreck to...........

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I compleatly agree, shifting the tax from one spot to another isent going to help make a difference, niether is raising it, Our state govenemnt is so jacked up, that needs to be fixed before we will se any benifits from our taxes, Althought they have made alot of improvemnts on I-80 between the causeway and Watt Ave., also(and im not shure this comes from the same funds) the light rail has expanded past Sunrise Blvd. and will be into Folsum soon, so these are good things but still the side roads are in crappy shape, and like Brian said, Hwy 50 through downtown P-ville is a wreck to...........

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur about SR50. I drove through P-ville last summer going to a race in Nevada and I couldn't believe that road was that crappy.