Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good grief..another project..worth it? cool?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Aug 4, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Seems I have anther "great" idea in my head that is killing me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

well picture this..

88 chevy short bed 2wd 5 speed...

then.. turn around slam in a 203 with adapter and part time kit. A set of 3/4 ton axels.

Put together a poor man's coil over kit using dodge lift coils "or coil overs if a deal could be found" and all spring super stiffs in the rear. Add the bling with a purdy set of weld rims or stock hd rims and 37 or 40 inch tires.

replace the interior seats, steering wheel and tunes, and to top it off add a caddy front end conversion and a sweet paint job

All this equals my nice daily driver tow rig, with looks and not to new of a year to hit me on the insurance..and lifted and capable /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after finding a few 88-92's and in fair condition for under 2500 my wallet says it is possable, just sucks to finish one truck and jump on another right away, I do enjoy the build though /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Just scored a deal on 2 gallons of canari yellow paint, to top it off with a gallon of clear to boot, not to mention a local shop has a customer gone broke with a caddy kit for sale, just over have the cost of new. New is 1800.00 with the cowl hood /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

so any comments.. sugestions, hate mail fan mail ect.. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

the 86 is being sold too, cant tow in comfort with it in my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

the only way I would change my mind is if a nice mack truck with a flat bed fell in my lab for a few grand..then right behind it a rust free 1st gen blazer waiting for my attention, shoewed up.

I really want a nice daily driver, this seems like the best of both worlds since I need a tow rig and a nice dd /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Go for it, I think it looks cool! I've seen it done done on a yukon xl with the denali front clip /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. supersize75k5

ya I know the front is cool, but what about it being lifted and used for a tow rig?, looks alot better than a stock 2wd /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

y-e-l-l-o-w /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

using it for a tow rig would be fine except one thing, 2wds are a pain. THey have a large front crossmember you really can't get around without a big lift. Bigger the lift the worse the tow rig.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Plus its a shortbed. For towing a K5 or similar, a long bed or ext cab short bed, (or longer) is better for stability sake. A SB is no fun to tow a load with, let alone with a lift.

Just my .02,
    John

6. supersize75k5

good point, I have been pondering the long bed thing too, I just dont think a long bed would look good for what I want to achive, as for the x-member..My friend Joe solid axel swaped his with coils with out any problems, he runs 35's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

his was 2wd? I'm just telling you what I've been told over and over when I thought about a 2wd to SFA swap. If its going to be a tow vehicle you need to put away the looks thing at least a little bit. Oh and the pickups I've seen in person with that front end on them, I thought it looked good too till I saw one. Just didn't look right in person.