Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good heads with a real small chamber?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 7, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Would like to bump my compression up pretty good. I figure with the Speed Pro pistons I have in my 355 I've got like 8.9:1 compression with my present 76cc chamber heads. I want more like 10 or 11:1 but only way thats gonna happen is with 58cc heads. Is there such a thing as a good flowing 58cc head?

2. alesko

alesko Registered Member

Yes chevy used 58cc heads on 305 high output engines back in the 80's.
    You might have to run aviation gas with that compression though.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha, no it would be race fuel for me, my dad is a dirt track racer having a big time compression motor built right now, should produce about 450 horsepower at about 7000rpms and will require some big octane. 305 heads sucks, thats why I said good flowing 58cc heads.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 327 engine with 3890462 heads Im trying to sell, if ya just want the heads you can have them.....62cc 1.94/1.5 valves 1966 manufactor date. Can cut for 2.02 valves if desired. They are dissasembled and have been magnafluxed to verify no cracks....these are some of the best production heads ever made by GM, they do not have accessory holes though. $225 plus shipping if your interested /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. alesko

alesko Registered Member

With your dad being a dirt track racer with big compression, you should already know the answer about the heads. ha

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

GM made a fairly good set of aluminum heads with casting # 10088113 .
    Port volume is 163 Int and 58 Exh
    Valve size is still 1.94/1.50
    Chamber volume is 58 cc's
    The GM part number is 10185086

Another head is a Bowtie Phase 6 casting # 14011049
    Port volume Int 175 / Exh 59
    Valve size 2.05/1.60
    55 cc's
    GM part number 10051167

I personally like the casting number 10088113 on a 4x4 truck motor .
    HTH , Tom

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha yeah I know the answer, domed pistons /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif too bad I'm not pulling my motor apart just to swap out perfectly good pistons for others.

8. alesko

alesko Registered Member

btw, 450 hp at 7000rpm should be easily acomplished with fairly low compression. Shouldn't even need high octane.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just put in some Vortec's. They have 64cc chambers and flow good. They will bump up your compression some but you should still be able to run pump gas with them. You can't beat that price!

BTW: most domed pistons won't work with anything smaller than 64cc heads without some machine work.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I hope that HP rating is conservative.

11. alesko

alesko Registered Member

What are you going to run this engine in? The high output 305 heads work quite well with lower rpm torque motors. No need to worry all that much about big flow numbers unless you are in the high rpm range.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my buggy. torque is main concern but I will be letting loose the RPMs once in a while.

13. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Second that, the Vortec heads are about $450 new for the set and flow great.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ha yeah I know the answer, domed pistons /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif too bad I'm not pulling my motor apart just to swap out perfectly good pistons for others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually domed pistons are not the ideal setup. The ideal setup is a decked block with a tight quench and small chamber heads (and flat tops).

15. alesko

alesko Registered Member

Imo, the 305 heads will work well for that. I used a set a few years ago on a stock 400 with dished pistons and it ran real good. Dont know exactly what it bumped the comp up to but I had to run sunoco 94 to avoid detonation. The biggest advantage to me is cost. These heads should be a dime a dozen and with a LITTLE port work will work well. I stressed little because they have fairly thin castings.

16. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually domed pistons are not the ideal setup. The ideal setup is a decked block with a tight quench and small chamber heads (and flat tops).

[/ QUOTE ] true, true. Flat top= best flame travel. Higher compression with less chance of detonation.
    What RPM range are you planning on spinning it to? I have used the 305 heads on some street engines. Good low RPM torque. with a little work, a decent head to play with. The vortec heads are nice. Less work to complete install. Do you know what pistons you have? do you know what the deck height is??

17. alesko

alesko Registered Member

We are talking compression and horsepower and all the up grades we have to do to get it. Funny that my honda civic is 410 horsepower with me just adding an exhaust and cold air system. And it is only 8:1 compression And I can prove it!

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have Speed Pro Hypereutectics with coated skirts. Flatops with 2 valve reliefs. Deck height is unknown to me. Didn't bother to check it, when the motor was built I wasn't into this stuff and didn't know any better. I think I will just wait till later and get some simple 64 or 60cc chambered aluminum heads. Want to drop some weight.

19. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I'd like to see that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want a good flowing 58cc head just get some GMPP LT4 heads. They should fit your needs if you dont mind spending some money.