Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good heat insulators

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Sep 6, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

hey folks! any suggestions for a good under-carpet heat insulator? anyone tried the lmc stuff? i just ripped up all my old stuff, planning on leaving the floor bare - but it gets hot!

thanks
    alex

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

LMC stuff is much like the OEM stuff works well but still absorbs water and will make it rust to hell if any water gets in there and absorbed.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I've got some extra stuff that I don't need just for that purpose - got it from LMC. We can work something out - but I'll be out of town til next weekend. Let me know if you're interested.

4. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

is there anything out there that wont absorb water so well?

pam - if i decide to go with that stuff i'll buy it off you...though i need enough to cover my whole cab...does it seem like quality insulator?

5. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

How well does HERCULINER work?

I'm considering a coating job on my truck.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hunk-o-liner does not work for its own purpous let alone to absorbe heat. line-x and Rhino work great and dont take in water. line-x can be sprayed thicker than rhino. i like line-x. rhino has changed in the past few years. they may have improved.
    grant

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i was thinking of doing bed liner on the floor, with out carpet, but would this make it a lot colder inside in winter, with out the insulation?

8. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I want to do the same thing, but I need something I can temporaroly put down till i can line x it

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, re: not absorbing water, and sound deadening, you know I Line-x'd my rig, and put carpet in the cab over that. I was going to use the insulation I mentioned before I decided to Line-x it all. Then with the insulation and 1/4" of Line-x i thot it would make the carpet sit too high next to the doors if I added insulation too. This insulation stuff would absorb water, no doubt, even tho it has a covering on both sides, water could get inot the insulation at the edges. Of course if you have carpet in there, it will absorb some too, tho not nearly as much as insulation would.

I guess your solution depends on how much water you expect to get in your truck. If you want to be able to hose it out, then even carpet in the cab would be a problem.

If you want to balance comfort with some protection from water, I'd say Line-x it like i did mine then throw carpet into the cab, without insulation under it. Kinda pricey solution. Then if the carpet does get mildly wet, it will dry. But you'd still have to remove the carpeting if you want to hose it out. I have carpet in my cab too, but for the most part if I need to wash the back out, I just park the rig in my driveway (it's slanted) so any water just runs out by the tailgate.

BTW, the insulator stuff I have looks like quality stuff, yes. And there's enough to do your whole cab, no prob. You can always come over and look at it, no obligation!

10. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

thanks pam...it's the 6x4 roll?

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, I think I bought 2 of 'em. I used a little of one (like 1'x2') to remake part of my firewall insulation, but I have the rest sitting around here someplace, and looks like I'll not need it.