Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good idea and a bad idea

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nc87k5, Feb 10, 2007.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

well, just read this article and have some mixed feelings about it. it's about GPS chips embedded in sneakers. I think it's a great concept for kids to wear because of safety issues dealing with kidnappings, etc. but I also feel it's another step closer for big brother to watch.... next they will be installing chips in our arms or other areas on the body.

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I agree, it sounds good when looked at from the child aspect. But where will it end? Can be pretty scary when you think about it. My dog had a tracking chip put in her. They did it with a syringe just like getting a shot. You can't even tell it's in there. No reason one couldn't be put in someone without any signs of it even being done.

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

that, I have a feeling, will be next. along with that "technology", certain information will be embedded also, IE. banking info, personal info, medical, etc. where will it end? I have a suggestion but will not get on that soap box.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Is that so bad?

Why is it so many Americans, and probably Canadians start acting as if they were criminals, when something might impose on them some what?

So the police can track you down when ever they feel like it. SO what?

Why are they looking for you? You must have broken the law, so you are a criminal in need of arrest, perhaps.

It is a good idea to keep track of your kids why not a sexual predator on parole now the police will be alerted if he goes with in 100yards of a school, wouldn’t that be a good idea.

all your medical info in a chip in your hand they can know all you info if you are hurt in an accident, or a chip that monitors your hart, could warn doctors before your hart attack, and save your life. What about banking info? Scan the chip in your hand, NO more Identity theft. Loft hikers to victim buried in 9-11 all could be found with a locator chip of some kind, maybe it wouldn’t send out a signal but could be tracked with a scanner.

What is so bad about “big brother’ watching, far more good could come out of it.

BTW you already have G.P.S. tracking built in to your cell phone :D

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Sounds good if this were a perfect world. Most of my family are or were cops and I am in no way putting any of them down. However there is such a thing as bad cops and whoever else would have acces to the tracking devices. Not sure I want someone able to track me everywhere, anytime, for any reason.

For instance. If everyone in my family is not at home then obviously my home is all alone waiting for someone to break in. If I am not home but my family is, obviously there is noone there to stop a rapist or robber. If I am at his house with his wife, then obviously that could go terribly wrong as well:D :haha:

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I doubt it will ever be an on line thing that any one could check, but the benifits could far out weigh the downsides

7. burban89'sgirl

burban89'sgirl 1/2 ton status

2 words: Conspiracy Theories :haha: i liked the barcode tatoo better :D

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Any ability to track down an individual against his or her will, or without their awareness is begging for abuse, either by individuals, corrupt officials, or just people in authority with a different idea of what's "good". How long before someone decides it's a good idea to be pre-emptive and continuously watch as many people as possible just in case they might commit an offense...?
    BTW, when I go camping, I want to be off the grid...

Can you imagine that phone call if you haven't paid on time?
    "Sorry ma'am, you have an outstanding balance of $60 on your account. We know where you son is, but you'll have to count on law enforcement finding him the old fashioned way, and just hope they can find him before he's killed or abused. Good luck, and thanks for calling. Is there anything else I can help you with?" :rolleyes:

"Of course, if law enforcement is called and finds the shoe right next to where the kid was abducted, we'll credit your account for that month...Sorry it didn't work out."

I'm all for tracking multiple offense convicts and all sex criminals. But that still sorta seems like extending their sentence. That's another debate, though.

darkshadow, the government constantly being able to watch you is like them allowing you to be free. As our forefathers expressed, freedom is a self-evident fundamental right of man; no government has a right to restrict it. How much we allow the government to regulate it is where we have to be vigilant. I fear giving authorities the tools to abuse the citizenry...As the forefathers did when they added the second amendment.

Allowing a private company to pursue it is fine, but it should never be required or suggested. Even a social security number shouldn't be required; no database of citizens should exist, but I guess that would complicate taxes.
    But like anything, I'm sure there will be a day, whether it's 40 years or 100, when the chip in the skin and online locating is no big deal. Then a few years after that the population is wiped out by something toxic in the chip that took a few years to be discovered, but was approved by the FDA... Vioxx anyone?

BTW, I took a 2 hour lunch break this week and went wheeling through an abandoned psychiatric hospital grounds. I wouldn't have done that if I was trackable, even though I wasn't a criminal or really doing anything criminal...

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a good idea??..

While it would be nice to always know where your kids are,I feel its a bit much to have to know it every second of every day..didn't the bible say something about us being "numbered"??..I seem to recall reading about that when "bar coding" of humans was discussed somewhere!..

I feel sorry for todays kids,with all this "technology"..poor kids can't have ANY fun or get away with ANYTHING now..what if WE had been "under surveilance" during our pre-school thru teen years!..we'd all be "BUSTED"!..:rolleyes:

I think it's unhealthy to be brought up "on a leash",so to speak..kids will feel untrusted,and will grow up inhibited,IMO..

Another good use for those GPS "chips" would be in musical instruments, like guitars,etc,that seem to get stolen from recording artists while touring quite often,or lost in airline luggage,etc..an entrepenuer could make some cash with that idea..much like a "lojack" tracking device for vehicles that get stolen..if I had the cash I'd probably look into starting a bussiness tracking musicians instruments..:thinking:

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For some of us, it is more of a religious issue. The Bible makes mention of such a thing, and calls it the mark of the beast. Apparantly, if the bible's prophecy is correct, it'll become a criminal offense not to have one, and it will be used by the anti-christ as a way to track down Christians.

Sounds crazy, I know, but the bible has been pretty surprisingly accurate in the past, and things are certainly lining up to fullfill the rest... Single world government, single world currency, mark of the beast etc, all predicted...

Ok, tin hat is going back on!