Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good Idea?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RatMan, Nov 12, 2002.

1. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

Howdy y'all! Here's my bright idea for the day - I really don't know too much about car/truck care and I have no room in my school schedule to take auto mechanics (too busy taking smart classes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). So I thought I might get one of those "start a career at home" things on Auto Mechanics. That way I'd know everything I'd ever need to know about fixing my truck. I could maybe even get certified/lisenced (?) and definitely get a job at a shop. Any ideas or opinions on this one? I really appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Here's my thought on that...you're crazy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    If you're busy taking "smart classes" (I know how that goes), you're most likely not going to end up working at a shop. (To all of the auto-mechanics out there...don't take this as a put-down, I'd love to work in a garage for a living, I just don't think the salary would support my spending habits /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
    You can also get a job at most shops without training. You may be there "gopher" but there's always room to move up, and while you're working there would be a good time to take extra training.
    Finally, why bother spending money/time on a course, just hang out here long enough and you'll be more knowledgeable about vehicles than half of the mechanics I've run into. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im takin auto machanics classes, but thats only because i like the atmosphere, and im smarter then anyone else in my class, i have alot of experience for the average 17 3\4 year old, ive swaped out my rear axle by myself, 10 to 12, replaced my front wheel joints, all my u-joints except for the cv joint U-joings at the transfercase, i have the experience, but i dont wanna fix other peoples f*ck ups, i'll fix my own, my girlfriends, and my friends as long as they help me, but i wouldnt want to do it day after day. im going into heating and air conditioning, seems fun, and it has oportuneity, for you id say learn all you can from friends, family, neighbors, and machanics alike, good luck. and happy wrenching. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Working on cars/trucks for hobby = /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    working on cars/trucks b/c it pays the bills = /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    cost of tools for the shop mechanic = /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    cost of tools for the home mechanic = /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    dealing with your own mistakes/mods = /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    trying to figure out WTF the last genius did = /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    making enough $$$$ to drop it off and have it done =

5. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you're busy taking "smart classes" (I know how that goes), you're most likely not going to end up working at a shop. (To all of the auto-mechanics out there...don't take this as a put-down

[/ QUOTE ] Its hard not to take that as a put down. The automotive industrie is one of the most complex their is, and is one that will always be around. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'd love to work in a garage for a living, I just don't think the salary would support my spending habits )

[/ QUOTE ] As for pay no your not going to start out making alot of money, but if you stick with it you can make a decent living.

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Working on cars/trucks for hobby = /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    working on cars/trucks b/c it pays the bills = /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    cost of tools for the shop mechanic = /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    cost of tools for the home mechanic = /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    dealing with your own mistakes/mods = /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    trying to figure out WTF the last genius did = /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, I almost took that route. I am glad that my dad talked me out of it years ago. I have a good tech job and love to work on my truck. I remember years ago when I got my first truck, it was like pulling teeth to get him to help me on anything after he got home from work. He turned wrenchs for 25 years to make a living and had no cars at home for hobbies. Now he has three, you figure it out.

7. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your opinions guys. I really appreciate it. I think what I'm going to do is go down to a local shop and see if there's anything I can do to help. If they don't need help I'll ask if I can just stand around the garage ( out of the way). I was gonna spend time on it anyway, so just watching isn't so bad. Oh, just to clear things up, I wasn't thinking about working as a mechanic permanently, just for summer and maybe to get through college (when I get there). Thanks!

8. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

If you're so busy taking "smart classes" why can't you spell license???

9. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

I have too many AP classes to worrry about spelling stuff right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif