Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good load capacity tire in a 35 or 36"?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by cybrfire, Nov 28, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Good load capacity tire in a 35 or 36\"?

What's a good Mud type or all terrain type tire with a decent load range for haulin/pullin/work truck in a 35" size. May end up being a dually as well.

Eric M. what size you running on those truck you restored? Black one and brown one?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: Good load capacity tire in a 35 or 36\"?

BFG mall terains and mud terains come in an "E" rated version. litle narrower. its a 315 65? 17. also 49 inch irocs are e-rated. high load capacity.

my advice is to go 17 inch rims a lot more e-rated tires, pluss a bit better for toeing with a little less sidewall.
    grant

3. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I run bfg muds (35 x 12.5 x 16.5) on my tow rig (single wheel 4x4 1 ton).
    Tire says 3415 lbs at 50 psi.
    I have over loaded them & also run them at 85mph or above for very long distances & NEVER had a problem with them.
    They also dont do bad in mud.
    I give them 2 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. cybrfire

Thanks I'll look into those.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

If its a dually and you are dead set on a 16" rim, there is no other choice but a 9.00R16 Michelin as far as I'm concerned. You could always step up to a 19.5 though.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

9 .00x16 would be small, about 31ish inches, no?

7. BlueBlazer

Actually about 36" tall.

8. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

What type of truck are you putting these on. Be very carefull when picking tires for a pulling truck. Duallys especially. Do not let the two tires hit when towing on a dually very dangerous. Will heat up the tires quickly. The other thing to keep in mind is actuall weight rating. Just because it's E rated, does not mean they are all the same. Dually are hard on tires, and BFG All Terains, althought they look really cool on a dually, are not the best choice. Have a very short road life, vs a real rated dually/towing tire.

Dually tires/towing tires should be an informed choice. It's not going to be cheap, but make sure you do your homework. Trust me I know, went throught this a while ago.

The other think to keep in mind, if you are towing with a gooseneck or 5r, is the towing height of the trailer, Dodge trucks especially, they alread have a high towing height to begin with, and adding taller tires, screws with alot of other factors, wheel speed, tourqe curve, trailer height, bed clearances on the trailer, center of gravity.

Just some thinks to keep in mind, when making your decision.

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

my advice is to go 17 inch rims a lot more e-rated tires, pluss a bit better for toeing with a little less sidewall.
    grant

[/ QUOTE ] What tires have you been looking at?? I want welds and an M/T for my D/CTD but it seems I can't get much for an "E" rating unless I stay 16". /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Trxus M/T

The 35/12.5/16 has a 3640 Lb rating. I put a set of 285/16's (3740 lbs /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) on my 3500. Nice handling tire. Quiet for a M/T. Might be cheaper than a BFG also.

11. cybrfire

I was kinda looking at that tire. It's nice and I'm sure won't last as long as some just due to the larger voids. This truck is not currently a dually but I think it will be. It is a 1 ton 4x4 and will be seeing some hauling duties. Whether it be pulling a fifth wheel, regular trailer or hauling something on its flatbed. Mostly the flatbed will be used. Eventually it will be pulling my rig across country to some of the better wheeling locations out west. How wide of tires can you put on a dually anyway??? Maybe I'll stay with a 33" tire. Just be simpler all the way around the equation.

12. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Not sure on widest. You could always run the 255's on back and the 285's on the front. I almost went w/255's for mine due to the narrow HD wheels. The 285's don't look too bad on them. (IMO)

What did you end up getting?

13. BlueBlazer

I have never seen a set of stock dually wheels take anything wider than a 235 (about 9.5" wide) without touching while loaded.

14. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    Not sure on widest. You could always run the 255's on back and the 285's on the front. I almost went w/255's for mine due to the narrow HD wheels. The 285's don't look too bad on them. (IMO)

What did you end up getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ended up getting a 79 k30 3+3 with a flat bed. Not a dually right now but it will be. Got little bit of rubbing to do but then I don't want to fix it up super nice to where I'm afraid to work it. Need another Caddy big block to drop in it then I'd be thrilled. It has a little 350 right now with a 465,205 and the 60 still living up front. When I get her home I'll get some photos to document the start of the clean up project.(NOT resto Project. Gotta keep reminding myself of this.)

15. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive got freinds that run the trXus MT's, and they actually wear very well. 40K miles isnt uncommon mixed with hard wheeling.

16. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Nitto makes a couple of 35" tires in the Terra Grapper model. The 12.5" wide version hold 3200lbs the 15" wide model holds 3638lbs.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

grant

[/ QUOTE ] What tires have you been looking at?? I want welds and an M/T for my D/CTD but it seems I can't get much for an "E" rating unless I stay 16". /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it might be that im looking for a road tread.... im more inteestedin a road treadfor my dodge. its 2wd anddoesa lot of cali highways.

grant

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That makes sence. I want M/T's because I live on a big rice ranch and the mud is sticky here. Also they would help make the dodge look a little more aggressive.

19. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

It's amazing how easy it is to get carried away. I had to keep reminding myself that the 93 is the DD. I had all sorts of ideas for it. (Like stealing the doubler and 60 from the /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

Got a buddy with a 3500 dodge dually oil powered turboed lifted w/ 6 38 irocs 16" with well spacers in the back to keep tires apart pulls a loaded fifth wheel around up and down the interstate with no troubles. just since you asked /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif