Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good locking mechanism capable on ice and snow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Nov 26, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I've been looking into lockers and it doesn't look like a locker would be the best bet for me being that I go to the snow quite a bit. I'm a rookie 4 wheeler and want to minimize wheel spin in the ruts and rocks and stuff but not get into fish taling when I get up to the snow on the icey roads...
    Would a limited slip be better? Any other suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Thanks,

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

chains...... just messin with ya man, i have no clue, i wish i get a chance to drive in snow this year, that would be fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MilpitasK5

I'll be going up to Kirkwood all season so if you're ever up for it, let me know. We could get some passes for pretty cheap too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Almost had to buy chains last year when front hubs weren't locking. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif $150

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

maybe a bit too far! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, i'll find something closer, but it would have been fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I can tell you I drove my blazer last year in snow and ice with lockers front and rear, you have to be very carefull because locked in front will make you understeer a lot.
    Also the rear tends to kick and fishtail.
    I am thinking the same as you, I will be equiping my Jeep (sorry /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) for the snow, and the sand dunes so I was contemplating the Detroit true track frnt and rr.
    I think they would be the most civilized.
    I will be talking to Randy' ring and Pinion and I will let you know what I come up with.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Personally I'd have to say that driving style has a lot to do with it.

Sure, limited slip is more "predictable", but it's also not real effective for a lot of guys here...the trucks weigh so much, combined with large tires, that once you get one tire off the ground, the limited slip does just that. Slips.

I wouldn't see lockers as being a problem *unless* you were uised to traveling and cornering at high rates of speed, and happened to be on the gas when you hit an icy patch. I'd certainly not like to be accelerating around a cloverleaf at 45MPH and hit an ice patch with a locker.

I've got the gov-lock in mine, and while its not a "true" anything IMO, besides a headache, especially for those that are hard on their trucks, even in the snow and ice I never noticed it. Except when it was locked and one rear wheel didn't just spin, both did, thus the rear end wanted to slide downhill. Luckily the front stayed anchored since it isn't locked.

I'd bet that if you hit the snow and ice at low speeds like I do (hunting) a locker would be fine, (although probably overkill) and if you do a lot of stuff with one wheel off the ground, or a lot of load on one tire, lockers are pretty much necessary for you. But mild 4-wheeling with a fairly stock rig, a limited slip diff is probably the ticket. Good road manners when its dry, and total predictability.

Either way, if both rear tires are spinning or lose traction, the rear end (or front if so equipped) of the vehicle will head downhill if sidehilling, or swing wide if in a turn (and possibly come around on you). That IMO, is what an air or electric locker would be good for: traction when you need it straight ahead or climbing rocks, and less chance of sliding on sidehills or losing it in a turn on slippery stuff. Thats also a lot of money /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. MilpitasK5

I drive pretty slow in the ice and snow all the time now. I have seen way too many accidents on highway 88. Even when it's sunny with snow on the banks. People tend to think that there is dry ground all the way through but once they hit that black ice on a slight curve... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I also get into sliding sometimes when I'm in the parking lots. That get's pretty narly too.

Let me know what you find out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Chris,

Did you see the recent article about the German-made selectable locker? It uses engine vaccuum, but the article says it could be converted to other actuating methods too...

A "selectable" locker will be the best overall solution for you (and me)...it just comes down to not having many choices available (yet).

Eaton may eventually make good on their promise of an electric locker, and THAT will be uber-cool! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. MilpitasK5

Where did you see that article, Greg? 4Wheeler Mag?

That sounds pretty cool! "Uber-cool" that is... I wonder what something like that would go for$$?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Greg72

Peterson's December 2002 p. 91

Tibus Off Road will be carrying all of them....

www.killeraxles.com

The only "other" thing you need is the $$$, and I can't help you with THAT one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The Eaton E-Locker is out, I believe Drivetrain Direct has them. I almost got one for my 14 bolt.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yes the Eaton E locker is out, and it's cheaper then all the rest at $619.
    I will be calling 4wparts, I saw it in their magazine.
    There is also the Detroit Electrac, but at $795 it's too expensive, and only available to GM and ford axles. No Dana's yet.
    I agree with Dorian, it's all about driving style.
    I drove my blazer last year with full lockers front and back, and I never had even a close call, and I was on snow, on icy roads, wet roads and all.
    But since now I have 2 vehicles that I am preparing for different purposes, I'd rather put a limited slip for snow and ice since I will not have a wheel in the air, but I will need a better traction.
    I will be checking the E locker first, and then decide, and I will let you know.

13. Greg72

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

I have been waiting (im)patiently for the e-Locker!!

Iceman, are you sure we are talking about a version that fits the 14BFF? If you know of other applications, can you tell me if the D60 version is available too?

Details......we must have details!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm going to go update my list for Santa!

14. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

This looks like a promising diff!

Unfortunately, they don't make them for a whole lot of axles yet.

Here is the application chart I got from Reider:

9.5" GM SEMI FLOAT REAR 3.23+ 33 spline
    9.2" GM 8 LUG IFS 3.23+ 33 spline
    8.6" GM REAR 2.73+ 30 spline
    8.8" FORD FRONT & REAR ALL 28 spline
    8.8" FORD REAR ALL 31 spline

So we may have to wait awhile for the 14bFF.

Here is how Eaton decribes it:

Basically, when the system is engaged, friction between an armature and an electromagnet apply force to a "ball ramp" mechanism. This forces the ball ramp's bearings out of their pockets and up the ramp.

That action, in turn, pushes the system's locking pins into matching holes located on the back of the side gear. That locks the axle, and drives torque to both wheels.

Want to see it in action? Click Here.
    Want to see it work from the inside? Click Here.

Eaton's ELocker™ Differential brings you the ultimate in control, power and traction. And it does it all with the touch of a button.

It looks like a very cool idea to me!

15. MilpitasK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The only "other" thing you need is the $$$, and I can't help you with THAT one!

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn Greg! I thought it would look more like this:
    "Oh $$?? Don't worry about that, give me your address and I'll order one for you and have it sent your house."-Greg72
    LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Greg72

OK, how about this:

"I'll tell you what Chris.... you buy my house, and I'll leave one gift wrapped in the "man space" for you!

....Heck, you buy the house and I'll leave the tubing bender and that 600' assortment of DOM and HREW tubing for you too.

Deal? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. MilpitasK5

Yeah!!! That would be one hell of a deal! I want your house! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now I just gotta come up with a hew hundred thousand $$...

Anyone wanna donate a few hundred thousand? I'll let you work on your rig in "The Man Space"!!

18. Greg72

Chris,

You don't need LOTS of money down....you can get a home loan with only a 3% downpayment.

Buy the house with 2 buddies.
    You each pay only $6400 down

The House and "Man Space" are all yours!

Cool Huh? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. MilpitasK5

Easy for you to say. I've seen some pretty good plans to buy homes. Yes, it's really not that hard but I don't have that kinda $$ yet... I'm a poor boy. Scrapin' for cash. I bet if I gave up snow boarding for two years I'd be able to do something...

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that I don't make squat either! That's why I'm going back to school.