Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good new towrig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, May 22, 2003.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Alright i was just thinking about when i get to the point when ill need a good reliable truck to tow whith. I was wondering what you guys thought of the 2500 Silverados. And what powerplant should i go whith, D-max or 8.1L.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

those trucks are nice. If I was to get one I would definately try and get a Duramax/Allison combo if you could afford it.

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Duuude, I saw a 4 wheel drive LUV the other day. I didn't really believe there really were 4x4 Luvs till I saw it.... Duuuude...

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have to recommend the Dmax/Alli combo. I current have an '03 Ext Cab Dmax/Alli combo and could'nt be happier with it.

I have had an 8.1 with the Alli and a 6.0L with the 4L85-E. The Dmax is by far the best one yet. Around town with the gassers got 11-12 tops on both of them. The diesel wont get worse than 16 in town and I've tried. The Dmax on the highway knocks down 18-21 depending on speed. Towing the gassers got 6-7 mpg, the Dmax gets 13-14 depending on speed/weight/hills.

I love mine and would not have anything else.

John

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Toby (moneypit) has a new '03 crew cab with the Duramax/Allison combo. He's added a computer, bigger intake, and a Banks exhaust system. That thing flat hauls the mail!!! Even here at 7,000 feet above sea level it will hit 60 so fast it makes your head spin. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It will pull a trailer with his Blazer loaded on it up and over the Continental Divide (11,000 feet and 6% grades) at extralegal speeds with ease. The onboard computer reports that he's averaging over 19 MPG and he drives it pretty aggressively! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I love my '02 D/A 2500HD SWB Crew 4x4. I don't get the milleage some claim running empty, but maybe that's just my driving style combined with the 33" tires. Without a doubt, it's the best tow rig I've ever owned or driven. I'll eventually chip it after installing a pyro and larger exhaust. Pretty easy to go 400+ hp and 700+ ft/lbs... Beyond that (and even there) the Allison gets troublesome, though there are hopup Alli mods coming... The sticks also have trouble and need upgrades in those ranges, but cheaper than what the Alli will need. I saw a video a few days ago where a truck just like mine ran 14.60 or so on the track, beating a 14.9 Mustang. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Yes I saw that video over on the diesel page too. It was simply awesome to watch the holeshot he had on that thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Plus it was great having a nearly 7000lb diesel truck take out a mustang!

John

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

yeah i have been looking at just as bare bones a 2500i can get (just the diesel and allison tranny). Ill probly add 4x4 to the list too just so its a better all seaons driver. About how much did you guys pay for a D-max truck.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wait lemme get this straight? ur in high school still..spending money on your rigs..and your looking at brand new 30,000 doller tow rigs?

10. BadDog

$30,000! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hehe, best joke I've heard in a while... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Try 45k+ for a nice one... I don't think it's possible to get a DMax/Alli for less than $40k or so without a Family Cert (like I used) or a mirracle...

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lol..ok then that makes it even more of a rediculas idea! lol /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

LINK!!!!!!!!

13. BadDog

This what your asking for? Please be more specific...

14. BadDog

BTW, FWIW, the DMax was against the speed limiter for the last 1/6 track or so.

15. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Yes im just finishing my last year of highschool. I just like to plan alot of stuff way in advance. Im not planning on droping the $40K for this rig for atleast a year. I am hoping to have a $20K downpaiment. And honestly the way things are going i just might be able to pull it off in 2 years.
    ANd at the moment im not spending anything on my rigs. My luv is downright indistructable and my f-150 i am still waiting on parts and i dont see myself breaking too much whith just 33s. I dont get realy wild off road.

16. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I can tell you this. When I was looking at getting the D-max, and auto it was like a $8000.00 option. I found used trucks for like $35000.00 But nothing to really write home about. Then I found the truck I now have '01 2500 HD crew, it has the 6.0l auto and I have to say with all the go fast stuff I wish I had just gone with the D-max. Course 35" tires don't help that at all....
    I would say the "older" 6.5 turbo diesel or the later 6.2s would be a good truck. All my friends that are into trucks have the Dodge Cummins packages I have to say those trucks kick some serious a$$!
    But I would never buy a truck like that new, You can just get so much more being a used truck shopper for them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I graduated high school last year and I have a full time job and I'm in the National Guard (got a huge enlistment bonus) and I couldn't even dream of buying a new truck. I'd love to have a new F350, but I can't touch them for what they want for them.

It's my opinion that no Diesel engine should have an automatic behind it. I don't know what people are thinking, buying an automatic/diesel combo. That's insane.

18. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know what people are thinking, buying an automatic/diesel combo. That's insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sir, there must be lots of "insane" people out there. With the advancements in auto trannies, they will last a long time. I have not had any issues with mine. Guys are haveing just as much trouble with the stick as they are the automatic, but this is only when we have modified our engines beyond stock, say 800ft lbs+

So, where you base your opinion is on older trucks (cough, ford..cough, dodge) even GM's for that matter, auto trannies have become much much better. Mind you, GM uses the Allsion 1000 in their medium duty trucks, the exact one that is in the Duramax and 8.1 light trucks.

I think the auto is posed to stay around for a while.

None of this was meant to start a flame war, but I couldn't resist your last line. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

19. BadDog

Yeah, the Allison is NOT just any old auto. It makes the TH400 look like a first run 700R4. And the auto will out run the stick at the track (if you care). Plus, for 95%+ of people (I'm being generous saying that 5% of the people with sticks have even a clue) driving them, it will out tow and get as good or better mileage due to the electronics. It *knows* exactly how the engine is working, and where it gets the most power, where it falls off, how hard it's working, adjust for air temp/density, etc. It also adapts to you driving, and you can tell the difference. Sure is nice when towing on grades, in traffic, in ice, etc... Oh, and with the Allison, towing in OD is NO problem. They finally got smart enough to put a temp guage on it from the factory too...

<edit> Oops, replied to the wrong post