Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good news and bad news

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Aug 4, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man I had a REALLY bad last couple of days!! (good news is I know everything wrong with my k5)

but at least I just got me axles rebuilt, and now I know that my axles are good (i.e. 4.10's instead of 3.08's)! everything else but t-case needs rebuilt! the thing looks REAL sweet, but that is as far as it goes!

lets just say that the new K5 is going to get some MAJOR work done to it!!!

to begin with the thing is a gutless piece (we knew that would barely get up to 75 on a flat run). well first of all my a/c compressor bearings started oing out, and then I lost OD in the tranny (4.10 gears and 33's so REALLY needs OD). so we get down the road quite a ways after that (100 miles), and we loose the alt. we call a tow truck, and after new alt, getting screwed on everything, and towing I had a alternator for $278!! so now the altenator is in the thing is running better then it ever has (but still gutless, and no OD). so we get down the road a ways (100 miles), and decide to stop for the night. at this point we realize in the mean time we've lost more gears (OD-already gone, drive, reverse working but slipping bad. so we get a hotel and go to bed.

get up in the morning to find out that first is slipping bad, and second is slipping bad too at low rpm's. so we run for about 60 miles, and then a lifter that had been making noise here and there but nothing serious starts chattering like crazy. I decide that what the hell I'm about 60 miles from home and the top end of the engine is getting rebuild anyway so well keep going. this k5 doesn't have a smog pump and so it has a plug in the manifolds where the air injection would go right??? well the bad lifter now vibrates that plug out completely, and we are getting exhaust in the cab and it is louder then h*ll!

well we made it home like that about 30 miles, and it wasn't a good idea to keep going. by the time we get home we are ALL really sick from the carbon monoxide, but we got home.

man, now my pockets are getting REALLY emptied (new tires and wheels, new gearing, and all parts ordered for top end rebuild) and I'm wondering about picking up a tranny out of a wrecked vehicle (already got one but don't know if I can trust it and I'm NOT about to have another trip like this), or trying to get financing on one of my k5's (own then both free and clear) so I can order a jet tranny or B&M (and have a LOT greater level of security).

well I'll keep ya posted! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] man anybody wanna donate to my fund??? LOL

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sure, where do I send the penny to? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Man, that blows to be in that situation! [​IMG]

Just think after you get everything fixed and rebuilt, you won't have to worry for another XXXX-amount of miles!!! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Bummer man! I've got a tranny I'd give you, but it's a really marginal 3 speed manual with trashed synchros[​IMG] Doesn't it feel good though to know you are driving a classic?[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. solowookie

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Just think after you get everything fixed and rebuilt, you won't have to worry for another XXXX-amount of miles!!!

<hr></blockquote>

well I tell ya what this is my on-road rig, and at this point the entire drive train will be COMPLETELY new or redone including tires. all I can say is when I get done I better not have to spend another $$$ on it for a h*ll of a long time! (or my wife is gonna... well lets just NOT got there LOL)... actually she's an incredibly patient person, and for some reason doesn't seem too fazed by all this.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That thing was truly a trailer queen! At least now it will be done your way and maybe an upgrade or 2.....
    $CHA_CHING$

Let us know if that guy posts things for sale please.

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had a bad week too, with my frame getting all messed up and all.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. solowookie

Doesn't it feel good though to know you are driving a classic?

<hr></blockquote>

man it does feel REAL good to drive a classic when the d*mn thing runs!!

kinda funny, I gotta piece of junk (at least the way it looks, paint job etc). that runs real good, and I gotta really sweet looking k5 that seems to be a lemon in a LOT of other ways! (I'm gonna try my hardest to change it though).

hopefully this driving a classic thing can be turned into a fun thing instead of a pain in the tush thing.

9. solowookie

Let us know if that guy posts things for sale please.

<hr></blockquote>

what do you mean by this???

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel - I've been on a "replace something just about every weekend" run lately[​IMG] New balljoints are coming Tuesday or Wednesday[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

11. solowookie

I know how you feel - I've been on a "replace something just about every weekend" run lately New balljoints are coming Tuesday or Wednesday

<hr></blockquote>

man I now what you mean! but hey that is the life of a k5 owner right??? even when the thing is running there's always something that need done! [​IMG] but hey they are cool, and my beast did get me to a good fishing hole today where I caught about 25-30 bass!!! [​IMG]

all I can say is it is a GOOD thing that had a good day fishing cuz I <font color=blue>really</font color=blue> needed it! it was even my first time bass fishing. [​IMG]

12. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

maybe you should combine the two and have 1 really good one
    just an idea

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

13. 2Dogs

Solo - do you still think you got a good deal on that truck? The price he had it advertised for was for a perfect condition truck. I was wondering if you still think you got a good deal after the trouble you had....

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It
    91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

14. solowookie

Solo - do you still think you got a good deal on that truck? The price he had it advertised for was for a perfect condition truck. I was wondering if you still think you got a good deal after the trouble you had....

<hr></blockquote>

I'm not really thinking about that... [​IMG]

In all fairness other then being a gutless wonder the thing did run good when it got there (tranny etc.) the only real suprise was that some of the ducts underneath the dash are completely missing, and the a/c wasn't working.

you know it is kinda hard to tell in a situation like this if it is just conicidental, or if did have problems. I think the only one that will really know that for sure is the guy that sold it to me.

15. 2Dogs

Cool - When I buy something I expect to make repairs and mods so I alway look on the bright side.

Per the Monty Python song "Always look on the bright side of life" I can't hold a tune fer shite!

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It

16. solowookie

Per the Monty Python song "Always look on the bright side of life" I can't hold a tune fer shite!

<hr></blockquote>

that reminds me it has been a LONG time since I've watched some Monty Python, gotta change that! LOL

I also wanted to state this on the boards! I had some inquiries as to whether or not I was trying to make MudFreak out to be a bad guy. I wanted to state that is not my intention.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue> <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by solowookie on 08/09/01 06:55 PM.</FONT></P>