Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good News... Bad News...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Well, here's the bad news. On my way home from work last week, the rearend started making that wonderful noise. Yep, I knew it was going out, I just needed to make it another 10 miles or so. Guess what, I didn't. Pulling away from the stop light brought me the loud, metal sounding explosion. Called the wrecker to get it home. Pulled the rearend, stripped it down and turns out it wasn't any little breakage, it was good quality breakage. Lost about 6 teeth off the pinion. Now for the really shitty part. I was needing this rearend to last me about another 6 months. I've got the 14 bolt sitting in my garage that only needs breaks and it will be ready to swap, but I didn't have the money for tires. Shopped around, trying to hunt a cheap 10 or 12 to help me get back on the road. Couldn't find anything, so I cashed in all my comp time and got ready to load up the 10 bolt and take it to the shop for a rebuild. Here's where the good news comes in. My wife had been secretly stashing away money and told me Friday to go ahead and build the 14. I explained to her that I didn't have the money for the tires right now and I had no other choice but to do the 10. She suprised me by telling me that she had saved her money and bought me 5 NEW 36x12.5x16 Swamper TSL Radials. So here I am now with a project that was supposed to be completed late next year, and now it's possible that it will be on the road in the next 2 weeks. I tell ya, I really do love my wife. She's been secretly lurking on the board for about 6 months trying to figure out which tires to get me. She did perfect.

Sorry for the book, just thought I'd tell ya'll a little good news for a change.

Kyle
    89K5

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Man that is too cool! Where was she hiding the tires? Are you going with a FF14 or a SF14 ? What brakes are you putting on it?

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Congrats!

Hey, can you have your wife call my girlfriend and give her a little lesson! LOL

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

She's actually been hiding them at the shop she bought em from. She bought em, told them to stash em and not tell me. I'm going with a FF14 and Disc brakes. Getting the brackets and rotors from TSM then calling in all my favors to get my callipers cheap from the parts house. Hope to have pic's of it all up before too much longer. Tired of the blazer sitting on jackstands. Not to mention it's my daily driver, well, was, till about last Wed. [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

5. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Thats a good woman! Mine got me both my bumpers, new ignition system and gave me the go ahead when my rear did the same thing. Gotta love those women!
    Not to mention that she also was the one who helped me put the 14ff in when all my friends had stuff to do that weekend.
    I am a little biased but I tell you that the 14ff is the way to go. After I got it on I just sat there drinking beer and looking at it. It just looks like it belongs there, that is its home. It should have always been there.
    Wierd that you broke teeth off the pinion. I broke 4 teeth off the ring gear. Wonder what makes one brake over the other, beside the metallurgy thing. Wonder if it is anything in the different driving or wheeling. Oh well, I wrote you a book too.
    Good luck with the swap, it is fun just make sure you have plenty of beer and all the parts before you start.
    Rich

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The ring actually looked DAMN good considering what the pinion ended up like. It's got some chips, but alltogether not that bad. I think most of those chips came when I was getting it off the rollback. It got bound up and wouldn't move. Had to get it in and nail the gas to get it to loosen up. I have no idea what made it explode, all the bearings looked GREAT when they were pulled, and there was never an issue of fluid. Carrier looks fine, axles look perfect. Weird deal. Guess it'll work out though, I'm getting my 14 in now. [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>That's a great little surprise ! Just don't forget it ! I'd secretely save my money and surprise her sometime soon, after all, isn't she worth it ?</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

8. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

I really like Riz's idea :)...of course I always like susprises! That is really great she did that for you. Now see, we can be very very sneaky. We may not always know what it is called or where the heck it goes...like a thing-a-ma-jig, or doo-hickie...but at least we have resources and know how to use them...Kudoos to your wife.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Kyle, had you replaced the pinion seal lately ?

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

about 2 years ago. All the bearings looked in killer good shape and other than the REALLY large peices of metal in the case that used to be a pinion, I didn't see anything else that would cause me to worry. Thing was doing just fine. No noises, no grinding, last time I changed the fluid (6 months ago) there was no metal in the fluid (to speak of). I did put about 60k miles on the truck in the last year though. Hell, maybe after 200k it was time for it to quit. I'm not complaining, I'm getting an upgrade and I'm not upset with the service that the 10 bolt gave me. It held up REAL good considering.

Kyle
    89K5

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Believe me, I'm racking my mellon to try and figure out someway of telling her thanks. I always tease her by asking question about the rig. Up until Friday, I didn't think she ever listened. Then I saw the notebook where she had been writing this stuff down and researching it. She's one hell of a woman. It's not a question of whether or not I keep her, it's how long she'll keep ME.

Kyle
    89K5

12. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Im thinking she deserves a nice little vacation to the Bahammas or something....hehehe...thats rad!...I'm hoping that my g/f has been listening to me about all the shizz i want...

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Did you measure the pinion bearing pre-load before and after the seal repacement ?

14. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status