Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good oil stabilizer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Feb 19, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

My 350 in my '89 has some miles on it, and its starting to get the "blue smoke" start ups. Does anyone know of any additives or anything like that I could try with my oil to help prevent this?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have had good luck using Lucas oil additives. To go farther into your isuue, I believe that you have leaking valve stem seals. Replacing them is not a big deal (takes a few hours and costs a few dollars) and will probably cure your problem without the need for a viscosity improver...which is essentially what you are asking for.

3. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Yeah I took a look at the Lucas products and have heard many good things about them.

Now about these valve stem seals... this isnt a very difficult procedure? What does it basically consist of?

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I will second the Lucas products. They have worked good for me.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you haven't replaced valve stem seals before, get a manual. You'll have to rent/borrow/buy 2 tools. You will need an adapter to plumb compressed air into the cylinder that you are working on to keep the valves from dropping down into the cylinder. You also need a valve spring compressor. One at a time, take each valve spring loose and replace to seal on the stem of the valve. It will either have Oring or umbrella type seals. If I understand correctly, you can run both at the same time for better sealing a longetivity.

6. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

I had the same problem on all my trucks. I started replacing a half litre of engine oil with tranny oil during changes and it actualy helped with the problem. Seemed to resoften the seals. Call me crazy.