Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good place to find used mil tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Sep 3, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok this is forsale in the forums

and tese tire i like but there a 16 inch rim (crap) and i am in the mist of getting h1 wheels so no go.

anyone know where to get used mil tires, AND does anyone know if the EVEN made michelin xls in 16.5?

EDIT: yes i looked to boyce but they only have h1 tires and 49"+ michelins

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have only seen the XLS in 16" versions. Might be a few odd sizes out there.

As far as the used mil tires, why would you want them? I am not impressed with them one bit. I can see them for use as shop rollers but thats about it.

3. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

All the military HMMV tires I have seen have been GOODYEAR Wranglers and they used to be 36" and they have now phased them all to 37". I have run both and I am not impressed at all. They are ok off road but they dont balance up and are loud as hell. I would say if you can find someone who is in the army (and still stationed at home) they can get them slightly used all day. Thats how I got mine.

Andy

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

look on ebay, theres tons of military tires. i got mine from a guy, berg military tires is the company name. I personally like the 36" wranglers. i have a set on unbalanced and run at 70 mph w/ almost no vibration. also they arent any louder than any other bias ply tire out there

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if this site has anything, it's been a while since I looked there. Hope I get it right, I'm going on memory.

tires

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

the michelin XZL's are way popular with the expedition travel groups. the tires are really beefy, have incredible wear factors, and are designed to survive harsh conditions without replacement. they are also designed to flex very little! they have steel sidewals to prevent sidewall tears and punctures. a lot of them are also designed to be used with tubes. they are not the "ultimate" offroad tire, but for general offroad (unpaved, unimproved roads, loose small rocks from bombs, destroyed roads) they are excellent. They are not very good on what most of us do offroad (rock climbing, slippery roots, tight narrow passages, etc).

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

No there are no half sizes in the offroad medium/heavytruck michelin line. Their site has all of the sizes in the 3 different patterns they have.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok no half size eh? ok.

i have seen the michelins xl and i like them a tall but thin tire, and there radiels so there smoth and dont flat spot.

i am no really interested in the wraglers as they just dont seem to fit in my plans, although i might get some since there cheap and plentifull, if i go a different route.

thanks for the info and insight guys:D

9. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

accually i just walked outside and checked the tire sizing on the humv here and it has 16.5 rims on it, in fact all 5 of them do.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Hummv rims are 16.5. When they are talking about military tires I think they are referring to the Michelin tires like K10AndyKhamnic has for sale not the Hummer tires.

You can see pictures of them here

Ira