Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good place to get dual exhaust setup?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Dec 27, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

would a place like a autozone or napa have a dual exhuast piping set or something for my k5? i want to get rid of the crap setup thats on there now and put a dual glass pack system on it that exists out behind the rear wheels on each side..

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Buy the Dynomax dual kit from Jegs and bolt it on. It'll work with glasspacks. That's what I used to have until I decided it wasn't loud enough and put straights on it.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how much does that go for? got a link?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Its a little over $100 plus mufflers. I've got one on each truck. Just go to www.jegs.com and type "Dynomax dual kit" in the box.

5. methcat

methcat Registered Member

if youve got hookers on it now, summit sells a 2 1/4" system that i ran in my 75. it fit primo with any old turbos. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

will they bolt up to the stock manifolds?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes. They have a header kit and a manifold kit. Order the manifold kit.

8. methcat

methcat Registered Member

they make both header and manifold kits for most applications. the catalog says $116 for most header types and 135 for most manifold types. i bought the header type cause i already had the hookers, so i know they make that one. pretty good quality too, it's all mandrel bent. no kinks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool ill look into this guys....thanx! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

Will the manifold kit PN 289-89003 work on a Blazer with a 305?

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run the Dynomax from jegs and I think its good bang for the buck. I'm about to get another one from them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i got the dynomax header kit because i needed to completely replace my exhaust and figured it was a worthwhile upgrade...

however i wasnt that pleased with my dynomax kit...its great because everything is prebent and looks nice....but i couldnt get those rears to line up together...

my kit just doesnt fit perfect, its functional, but its a little bit off....i've heard others with this same complaint about the dynomax setup...but i've also heard more people say that it fit like a glove....

the weirdest thing is that i used all dynomax, headers, pipe, mufflers, it sounds awesome, but i always have one tailpipe an inch or so higher than the other

13. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

Ok, I spent a year dilly dallying with my exhaust until I found what worked (friend at a muffler shop comes in handy). I ended removing my Hooker headers because they are SOOOO notorious for warping and getting loose (if you try to "lock-tite" them they just warp eventually). With Hooker headers and 2 1/4 inch dual pipes (w/o cats) and Dynomax mufflers it sounded so-so and my blazer shifted into 3rd at about 68mph. I now run a ram-horns instead of headers, 3 inch mandral bent Edelbrock exhaust with cats(damn emissions) and flowmaster dual chamber mufflers. I have a TON more low end torgue and it doesn't shift to 3rd until aprox. 77-79 mph......and even better than sounding great and performing great it fits PERFECT and the entire set-up (minus gaskets of course) is gauranteed for LIFE. Check out Edelbrock.com....they'll send you a catalog (but it's actually cheaper to buy the parts from a parts store since Edelbrock has a tendancy to overcharge the general consumer).

14. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I know this may be a stupid question but, What are Ram Horns? just curious.

15. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you want to upgrade to headers I know a guy who has a set for 50 bucks.

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ram horns are 72 and older exhaust manifolds they are upside down W-shaped, there are two versions, the common 2" exit ones and then the 63 64 Hi PErf 2.5" exit ones

to get quick inexpensive 2.5" duals on a gm truck you get full length headers and a set of exhaust manifold gaskets for 55-up SBC and get four collector gaskets and use two on each collector and get how ever many feet worth of 2.5" or whatever diameter straight pipe and some turbo II or similar decent sounding inexpensive mufflers, and welder, you may have to torch some material from driver side of auto trans X-member, but oh well.. i torched alot of mine away up tot he bolts that hold the end bracket to the end of the main part of the member,three bolts stil hold it together plus the two larger frame bolts,
    its not like these members are rare, everyone has an extra auto trans X-member or two laying around

this is what i did to the 81 scottsdale when i yanked the original 2 bbl 305 ESC setup in favor of 1975 350 4 bolt engine recently, been about a month and not any problems as far as exhaust /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

good luck