Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good place to get weather striping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TxK5Blazer, Jun 26, 2003.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I will be having all the body work and paint job done to my 82 where is a good place to buy the weather striping that goes between the top and the bed rails and the felt that goes on the two door windows and the back window......Jason

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I have heard that JC Whitney has the kits and are priced well. I know LMC has them too, but they usually want more $$ for there stuff.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

LMC and JC whiteney, both for a pretty penny though

4. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys I will look at JC whitney I have heard bad things about LMC

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

No kidding, I ordered some hood brace kits from them (LMC) and they SUCK!!! I can bend them with my fingers!

6. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Glad you shared that...I was thinking about getting some of those.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

get everything you can from GM.

BTDT, GM quality is 10 times better than any aftermarket stuff I've seen. If you have to pay a bit more, it's worth it.

Of course, sometimes GM dealers are insane with their prices, but thats why there are places like www.gmpartsdirect.com.

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Shaggy found this about a year ago. I never ordered from them but they have just about everything. I wanted the felt things that the windows ride on at the front of the door and they have them on page 17 if I remember correctly.

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/webcatalog.pdf

9. cdh

cdh Registered Member

Go with GM parts!!!! I did my truck a couple of months ago, and it was worth the extra money.

10. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Of course, sometimes GM dealers are insane with their prices, but thats why there are places like www.gmpartsdirect.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this place have ANYTHING? I entered my vehicle info and typed "tailgate" as a keyword search and got no results.

LMC seems to be the only place that has any specialty parts. For example, I'm looking for the helper spring (torque rod) parts for the tailgate. Nobody but LMC seems to have anything at all. Problem is, LMC currently has no source for one little part that I need to finsih the project.

11. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Does this place have ANYTHING?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've gotta have the part number to check stuff from my experience. You can email them to get it, or ask on this board . I think I've got a tailgate parts diagram scanned if you want the URL.

12. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Does this place have ANYTHING?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've gotta have the part number to check stuff from my experience. You can email them to get it, or ask on this board . I think I've got a tailgate parts diagram scanned if you want the URL.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Where are you scanning from? Is there some book I can buy from GM or something that has exploded views of the truck?

I did E-mail them about it, but they sent back some part numbers that cost only $2.50 or something. No way those torque rods are that cheap. Besides, I know from LMC that I need about 4-5 parts per side, not just the springs.

Thanks.

13. dyeager535

14. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah I've got the '85-86 GM parts manual. Ebay is the only place I know of that you can get them.

http://dyeager535.topcities.com/partsmanual.html (might need to copy and paste that into the URL field of your browser)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that's great. I looked on E-bay but didn't see anything right now. Did you have to keep checking back and get lucky?

Are you sure you can't get it from the dealer?

15. dyeager535

Yep, just got lucky.

Dealers usually don't sell this kind of stuff. Probably throw it in the garbage most of the time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Obviously somehow people get them, but I don't know how from the dealers.

To be honest, in a few years, these books are going to be worthless anyways. GM could care less about customer service unless you are buying a new car. A lot of parts have already been discontinued, (that started at least as early as 1994, a whopping 3 years after this truck line was finished) and in a few more years, there will be little left to buy from GM for the 73-87 style trucks.

16. Mastiff

I'm afraid you're probably right. I can't seem to find anyone with the parts I need. Your picture was helpful, but the GM parts sites only have a few of the things I'm after. I might be able to scrape everything together between LMC and the "genuine GM" sources.

17. dyeager535

Always make sure to email gmpartsdirect with part numbers if it's something you desperately need from GM. Sometimes the numbers won't come up with results, but they could still be valid Part #'s.

However poor most of the aftermarket parts are, at least they are being made. Grab all the good spare parts you can now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif