Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good place to mount tach wire?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Sep 1, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I have one of those Sunpro 2-5/8" tachs and I've got everything connected except for the positve red wire which the instructions say can only be connected to a terminal that is energized when the key is in the "ON" position. I have one of those remote solenoids and was wondering if there is a terminal on there that would be ok to connect it to. Here's a picture of the solenoid, let me know which terminal to connect it to (A, B, C, or D) or if I need to connect it somewhere else: Remote Solenoid Thanks.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Honestly, I've always hooked it up at the fuce panel to a switchable fuce like (radio).

3. BayouBlazer88

Good idea, I'll go and try that.

4. BayouBlazer88

Ok I connected the red wire to the radio fuse, the white wire (light) to the dash panel light fuse, the ground wire to the bracket that the brake booster mounts to, and the green wire to the loose white wire coming out of the ignition coil. Whenever I put the key in the "ON" position without the truck running the tach goes to zero but when I turn on the dash lights, the needle goes backwards to 9k rpm. When the engine is running it shows about 1100 rpm but only goes to about 1500 rpm when you drive it. Any ideas on what could be wrong? A bad ground maybe?

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok I connected the red wire to the radio fuse, the white wire (light) to the dash panel light fuse, the ground wire to the bracket that the brake booster mounts to, and the green wire to the loose white wire coming out of the ignition coil. Whenever I put the key in the "ON" position without the truck running the tach goes to zero but when I turn on the dash lights, the needle goes backwards to 9k rpm. When the engine is running it shows about 1100 rpm but only goes to about 1500 rpm when you drive it. Any ideas on what could be wrong? A bad ground maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the wires are crossed maybe? Like power connected to the lights, or lights connected to the tach wire.... something like that. Does the light go on when you turn on the lights?