Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good price?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i went to 4WPW last night to get a qoute on a gear swap. I've heard people on here say they do em cheap. this is what they qouted me:

out the door $1686.63

$259.99 front + rear gears

$350.00 front labor charge

$325.00 rear labor charge

$309.00 front trutrac

$69.99 rear install kit

$69.99 front intall kit

$28.00 gear oil

$20.00 freight

$20.00 lubes,cleaners,towels,hardware

$5.00 oil disposal fee

$168.00 Gold warranty ( five year )

do all these prices sound reasonable? the labor includes the $100 off coupon they are running. supposedly i saved a total of $261.00. Should i find some other qoutes? The gears from Genuine Gear and carry a lifetime warranty. anyone know of a better deal in SoCal? 4WPW is only 1 block from my house so there would be a definate convenience there.

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

$675 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifSounds really high to me.

3. bigmike72

bigmike72 Registered Member

Not sure about the price on that labor (does seem high too me too, parts price seems about right) but I've taken two different trucks over the years to the 4WPW store in Santa Ana for lift kits and in both cases they did good work. However they also take a long time, they had my trucks for over a week each.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

a week? thats crazy! did they have the parts already when you dropped it off? they told me about two days. the same santa ana store.

5. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I got quoted 950 for both axles and thought thats was nuts, So Im just gonna get soem gears and install them my self, the only thing is, I hate setting up gears /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Cant justify 500 in labor

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Overall the price sounds pretty good to me to do both diffs with a front LS. I paid that much just to do a 12 bolt back in the day. I think Randy's Ring and Pinion chrages $600+ per axle and thats if you carry it in.

What seems off is:

$20.00 lubes,cleaners,towels,hardware
    $28.00 gear oil
    $20.00 freight

Especially the freight, that should be in the price of the parts like every other store out there. Only time I can think of a freight charge would be on special orders, but a place like 4WPW, this is what they do.

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i know pretty lame huh? they charged my uncle 10 bucks for shop rags just to mount a set of tires on rims. he said if hes paying 10 bucks so the guy can wipe his hands off, he wants the rag when hes done! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i should haggle and get all those extra charges knocked off, especially the freight.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it seems like everytime a store offers low prices, they then charge you all these small fees to make it up. In the end it costs as much as the non-discount stores, well sometimes.

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I think for the most part it sounds right. Here's a different perspective though.....
    $60 14FF & D44 with 4.10 gears
    Traded work for a front EZ Locker, brand new
    New bearings & races, not sure but probably around $100
    Gear lube & shop rags, $10

I suppose you could figure something for the epoxy paint & brake cleaner, bearing grease and maybe some seals, but that's pretty minor stuff.

Cheapskate,

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A local shop here in Cali wants $1,400 for a gear swap only.

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Maybe a little higher than what I'm use to. A guy in my hometown did gear changes for $225 per axle and he was the cheapest but that was 15 years ago.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good lord, u guys are getting ripped OFF. whip out the phone book and call a bunch of the smaller shops around town... tell em you'll pull the axle and bring it and the gears + install kits to em and see how much they'll charge to install them for ya. once u find a decent dealer, go over to pirate4x4 vendors forum, find the guy who will beat ANYONEs price on yukon gear seats, get your gears, take em to the shop you found, and ur set.

whatever you do, dont ever, ever, EVER let 4wpw touch your rig. I dropped a gazillion $ down that toilet when i was younger/stupider and took that path. thank god Im off it now.

j