Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good quality yet cheap MT's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Sep 10, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Good quality yet cheap MT\'s?

Okay guys, went 'wheeling yesterday, and I found something out. I need mud terrains. My Pathfinder ATR's are doing well so far, but they are definately not mud terrains, and nothing to brag about offroad. I am looking for 285/75R16's, but don't want to fork out a bunch on BFG MT's or anything expensive because I am planning a solid axle conversion and lift to 35" tires in the next couple years. I have seen Dunlop MT's and the Yokohama MT's rather cheap at www.tirerack.com Any experience with these tires? Anyone have a good recommendation for a good quality, yet cheaper price range MT? I mostly just trail ride, but occasionnally I am crossing creekbeds, large puddles, or sandy areas, and these ATR's just don't do that well. No rock crawling or gumbo mudding here. Any help, advice, or suggestions would be appreciated. Please include how they do onroad, because while I suddenly can go offroading once a week, I still drive it all week long on SoCal surface streets. Thanks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Good quality yet cheap MT\'s?

I have the General Grabber MT's. They were the least expensive MT that I could find at the time (in a 16.5") So far they have worn very well and the on-road manners have been good(for a MT) They were very quiet for the first 2 years and then I had a ball joint go and it cupped one of the tires pretty bad. So now they sound like every other mud tire. I have probably put 40,000 miles on them and they have over 50% tread left, still dig like you would'nt beleive in mud, flex and grip very well on rocks and provide a good ride on pavement.

All around they have been a good tire for me. I would buy them again but the largest size they make is 35" and I want to go to 37" or 38" next time.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Yup, defenitly General Grabber.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've used both the BFG M/T's and the Yokohama Mud Diggers. I would really try to go for the BFG's as they seem to be the strongest, longest lasting and best overall performing radial out there. The Yokohama's also perform very well, but they wear out very quickly. Right now I have 35" BFG's on my daily driver and they do great on and off road. Check your local papers for some BFG's from someone who just put on a lift.

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I ran 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers on my Blazer for a while. Mine did not clear well in mud and wore so fast I didn't know what happened. I wouldn't buy them again. Go with Grabbers or BFG's.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

6. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

Have you thought about Re-Treads?? Fourwheeler magazine (OCT. 2000) just did an article on that retread company that always advertises in the back of all the 4x4 mags and they got some pretty good ratings! At only 70.00 bucks for 33 x 12.50 15............thats a steal. The tread pattern is that of a Dunlop Mud Rover. I'm thinking about trying them myself!

http://www.mallmerchant.com/retreads

Blazin' in TEXAS!

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

General makes a great tire. I ran the Grabber AP (AT) before my lift and was torn between General Grabber MTs and BFG MTs when I found out I couldn't get the Goodyear MTRs yet. I went with BFG because of their reputation and ease of finding replacments at Sears/NTB. What General had as plusses were: cost, a thicker sidewall, I know its only two ply but it is thicker, and the fact that I realy liked my 31s. Also, people I have talked with say they clear great and don't pack up.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Although I've never tried them, Pep Boys sells a MT made by Cooper. I believe it's called the enforcer. The tread pattern is similar to BFG and they sell for only $80, I think. I don't know about the treadwear, but I had some of their AT tires before (similar to BFG AT) and they ruled in the snow and lasted a long time. They might only make up them up to 33", though.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The old style Goodyear M/T's were $127 at the Tirerack not too long ago, they are very nice and have good wear characteristics. I had Sport Kings on my Blazer when i first purchased it and they wore nice and went off-road pretty well, maybe check into the Mud Kings...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com