Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GOOD SAND TIRES

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jessegallegos, Dec 9, 2001.

1. jessegallegos

jessegallegos Registered Member

I am new to fourwheeling and have a ? about tires. My 1982 blazer now has 31x10-15s goodyear wranglers AT/S with about 50% on them. They work great but I don't like that I have to air them down to 13 psi . I would like a tire that is made for highway,sand ,& mud and also don't have to air down as much I live in Florida and around where I live we have alot of loose sand and some mud holes (looks like sand box sand) The two things I would care about is #1 sand and 2 highway use(Low noise)

I was thinking of the mickey t baja belted

Thank you,JESSE

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Airing down is necessary for any tire to work well in the sand. I air my TSL's down to 7 psi in the sand...
    A tire designed for mud will perform better in sand and mud than an A/T tire will.

Most radial MT's under 35" are quite street friendly and wear well if rotated properly. Check into Pro-Comp's and BFG mud T/A's...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The Mickey T Baja Claws, and the Yokohama Geolander M/T's are killer in sand - Of the two, the Yokohama will be the best overall, due to a better compound for the highway. I'm fixing to go to the Yoke's myself once the current skins have given up the ghost.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

A mud tire MIGHT perform better in the sand. You need power and you need to keep moving with them. The moment you stop moving, you start going straight down. I had some Pathfinder ATR's that actually didn't do bad at all in the sand, even at 35 PSI. Also, the M/T Baja Belted's are a good chouce for what you want, but they'll last about 30-35,000 miles.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I certainly do not agree with the statement of a mud tire being best in the sand over and AT. The idea of sand is to stay on top, not dig through. ATs work VERY well in the sand. The lower the air pressure the better also, that goes for any tire.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have run Dunlop MudRovers (very similar to BFG MudTerrrain) &amp; SuperSwamper SSRs in the sand. I would air down to somewere around 12psi on both. Both tires do great in the sand. The Swampers toss up bigger rooster tails[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Super Scoops. Any questions?

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

8. tRustyK5

He stated he wheels in sand and mud...which is what I considered when I said an MT would be better. For just sand anything that hold air will do...the wider the better.

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i ran 12 pounds on my old 35" Pro Comp mudders in Pismo. never got stuck. to parapharse something i read b4 think of sand-driving like a jet engine, the sand going out from under your tires propels you forward (take it easy, i haven't had my coffee yet[​IMG]. the trick is to keep the tires moving[​IMG] wheel speed and rpm is the trick to mud &amp; sand IMHO

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

10. tRustyK5

Same goes for deep snow...it's like clean mud.[​IMG]

Rene

11. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

tire pressure in sand is the answer and any tire will work.
    I vote for 12 PSI as your answer &gt;&gt; also~! &gt; I can pull through miles of soft sand with a trailer loaded with a jeep/quad,firewood,water&amp;gas, with my chevy 77 1/2 4x4 ton stock 350 truck, loaded down camper. &gt;w/tire air at 12psi. and not get stuck.

12. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Check out the Goodyear MT/R's they seem to be great on all types of terrain. The best prices I've seen are at www.tirerack.com.

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274

13. jessegallegos

jessegallegos Registered Member

So I guess there isn't a tire that you don't have to drop the psi. My tires are rated to hold 50 psi and I drive with 40 in them I just think it is a pain in the a$$ to have to drop them below 12psi each time you want to go in the sand.

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My BFG M/T's were great in the mud and sand. In the sand I ran them down to 7 PSI.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

15. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

For a long time I had a "sand only" Jeep that I regularly took to the Imperial Dunes. Of course, "Paddles" in the rear, but for the front I ran 31x12.50 BFG A/T's on 12" wide rims. Worked great at 2 psi...

Any conservative tread radial will do good if the pressure is dropped enough.

Marv