Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good shift kit, no OD and slipping ---fixed!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

(If you don't want to read a novel, skip to last paragraph)
    Well, I don't really blame the shift kit, as I think it just brought a problem that was already there to light. Running an 87 1/2 700r4 in my '83 C15. It ran almost flawlessly except for one rarely occuring fault. I keep it in third around town until I hit the highway, then put the shifter in overdrive. Now sometimes it wouldn't upshift to overdrive. I'd usually drive a few miles and slow down for a turn and then it would the upshift. Otherwise no complaints.

Flash foward to now. I dropped in a B&M 2,000 holeshot covertor, new TV valve sleeve, stage one of the shift improver kit, and a case full of trick shift. Now everything has gone to hell. I took it out for a drive and sometimes she'd make to third and be doing about 3,000 rpm down the highway. I'd let off the throttle in hopes of getting OD and the tach would drop back below 2,000 the second i left off the gas. Sometimes I can't even make it out of first without slip city. I took the pan off and checked EVERYTHING over again and it was all done correctly. So, I was thinking that maybe I have a servo issue. I finally got a hold of B&M and he said to check that or the governor. I got the servo part way apart and the first seal in there feels funky. It feels like its made out of plastic instead of rubber. I can bend it and it will hold that shape. I tried sliding one of the pistons in and out of the cover and it felt pretty easy to move. Is it supposed to be a super snug fit and are the seals supposed to softer? The seal has a diagonal cut in it too. I assume thats to install it because its too stiff to pull over the piston. HELP! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Good shift kit, no OD and slipping

My first thing to check is like B&M suggested:
    The governor is what makes the upshifts.
    If it's sticky or grooved it will do that, also I have seen lots of governors with missing teeth, sometimes they skip but when enough teeth are gone in a row, no more governor.
    It's easy enough to check it too, just pop of the cover on the side.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Said to hell with it and pulled it back out and went to the transmission man. The demon I created was that the TV piston was stuck. THe 2-4 band was roasted from those wonderful stock coolers this thing turned its first 100,000 with. The last thing I can blame B&M for is that the directions totally ignore the 3-4 pack when you drill the holes in the seperator plate. Well, thats what my transmission guy said and anyone that can identify that without a book has my respect.

So now its packing a Transtar kit with Raybestos clucthes, Corvette servo, high speed TV sleeve, higher pressure regulator spring, and opened up seperator plate. The corvette governor is on order now too. Still got another 1,000 rpm of steam at WOT.

Oh and I went back in the warehouse during work (Northern Auto Parts) and checked out our transgo stuff. Muuuuuuch better stuff. The complete shiftkit is for the real hotshot mechanics and the junior kit is best for most people when doing a 700r4.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They've been saying the B&M kit ignores the TV setup on the 2004R's for years, while transgo deals with it.

Still have little reason to trust B&M's tranny products.

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I have had good results with the B&M shift improver kit, but not in my truck. I installed one in a junkyard tranny that I put in an 84 trans am with a 3.73 rear end. I went right to stage 3. It was hard to not let the tires chirp with the 1-2 shift. That was in a light (3400lb) car though. There is a lot more stress on a 700r4 in a 5000+lb K5 or truck. I will be in the market for another shift kit later this summer and I think I'll give the Transgo kit a shot.