Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good source for high amp alternators

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

The place: Expres 818-442-9032.

The story:

This is my 3rd alternator (catching up to how many starters I had to replace). This high amp alternator is replacing the one from my fateful Barstow adventure last February. It conked out this week. Hmmm, didn't even last a year (and less than 2000 miles).

Wanted a high amp one anyway, and as many of you know, it was the new Wrangler high amp that fried my battery the day after it was installed, on the way to Utah, which is how I landed in Barstow to begin with. They replaced Wrangler's with a stock one.

So, I checked around, 4WPW had to order it and would take a week (for a Powermaster). Meanwhile, my mechanic called his alternator guy, and there ya go, a great 160 amp, all guaranteed alternator for $179 and in stock. And there's no need to alter the stock bracket. I had to alter the bracket for the Wrangler alternator and so had to wait an extra day in Barstow while they found a stock one. And an extra day in Barstow time is like a year in real people time.

I imagine the guy will ship, and my mechanic always has very reliable sources for subing work and for parts, so thot I'd post this in case anyone needed it.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Pam, did you keep the Wrangler one and talk to them? I only ask because their stuff is top notch, and their customer service (at least to me) has been outstanding. I've had their 135 amp direct charge one for 4 years now and wouldn't buy anything but their stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You can get your local parts store to order a high amp kit for your stock unit. Very easy to put in, and hella lot cheaper then the bolt on models. I just can't see paying over $100.00 when you can get the same amprage out of the kit for under $50.00

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

KenWorth. 220 Amp and you get about 130 amps at idle. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    About $220 and VERY reliable. does require some modifications because it's larger than stock. Most modified GM's produce around 40-50 at idle and don't come up over 100 amps till 1500 rpm.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Blazzin - no I didn't keep it. Was pretty pissed off actually. Returned the alternator (didn't last but 1 1/2 hours after install) and their warranty doesn't cover other damage due to defective product. Since it was mail order, had to pay for replacement labor and parts (plus I paid to have theirs installed too). So... Stranded in Barstow for 3 days = $250. Repairs to truck, including alternator, bracket, intake manifold (bolt hole broke off when alternator removed) and starter = $900. Replacing brand new but fried Optima battery cuz of alternator = $119. Missing best powder days all season in Utah and the company of Azblazor and wife on ski trip = priceless.