Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good source for used 1/2 ton rear diffs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GONZO2, Jan 19, 2004.

1. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

my brother's rear carrier just broke on his 90 k1500 z71 pick up and he is so far getting price quotes for repair of $1200-1500 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif . this is for a reconditioned rear diff installed on his truck.

any places in the philly pa area that have used axles laying around?
    other optuions?

i told him to get some price quotes to fix the one he has. it can't be that much to swap some new internals in there.
    the problem he is having too is AAA towed it to a pep boys, so odds are whatever shop does it, it will need to be moved again too. any safe ways to flat tow, since the rear is locked up?

any suggestions appreciated, he's not real happy right now!

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would just get one at a local wrecking yard...

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

what would a fair price be at wrecking yard? $100 in working condition?

4. rjfguitar

yeah, maybe a little more.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Typical price of a used one from a yard around here is $500-600. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Going rate for a gear swap with new bearings, etc. is $1,100+. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Used rear ends can be had for much less from a pic-n-pull type of yard, but they seldom have newer rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

they are alot more than 100 for 88-98 rears its insane, i dunno whats wrong with these but these 88-98 rear break real easy and my half brothers cousin has broken two 4x4 k10 rear 8.5" axles and its just a normal daily street driver 4x4, i would put in an older 8.5" the spring pads are same 4.25"

apparently in 88 or so GM started doing something horribly wrong building these axle,. they are junk and the yards think they are gold still

good luck

7. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

so the older ones will bolt right up huh? he just won't have use of the rear abs anymore i'm assuming.

and yes so far some wrecking yards thinkl these things are gold. 500-600 for a crappy used axle who are they kidding?

is there any major differances between his rear and the one on my 88 blazer? other than mine being narrower. i had both axles stuffed with new gears, bearings, locker... for under $1500 out in mt. he is in philly area, so i don't know where to recomend over there.

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    they are alot more than 100 for 88-98 rears its insane, i dunno whats wrong with these but these 88-98 rear break real easy and my half brothers cousin has broken two 4x4 k10 rear 8.5" axles and its just a normal daily street driver 4x4, i would put in an older 8.5" the spring pads are same 4.25"

apparently in 88 or so GM started doing something horribly wrong building these axle,. they are junk and the yards think they are gold still

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bahhaaahhaa, like the earlier ones are any better! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif THe late model 10B's are supposedly better because they are 30 spline unlike the earlier ones that are 28 spline.

9. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

I had my '92 8.5" rebuilt a couple years ago with a brand new Auburn and Yukon Gears. $500 for LSD, gears, and install kit from 4wheelparts, $250 labor to put it in.

I just completely gutted and rebuilt my 8.5" in my '94 Yukon a few weeks ago with an Auburn Pro Series, Precision gearset, all new bearings and seals, and set it up myself for $500. Ebay is a great place to find cheap new parts /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They are putting a LOT more power to those 10 bolt axles than they did when they were first used in trucks, and to be honest, the way I see people driving, the axles aren't the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

CHeck out Coleman's surplus Beand new 10 bolt for $395 .

Coleman's Surplus
    360 Klinger Road
    Millersburg, PA 17061
    1-888-478-7758 ext. 223 or 224